Totara Learn Open Discussions

Dynamic managers based on Position and Organisation Hierarchies

? ?
Dynamic managers based on Position and Organisation Hierarchies
de ? ? - Friday, 12 de January de 2018, 00:53

Hello,

On the registration page of the site, I have the Position and Organisation Hierarchy fields visible. So the user can choose their own position and which organisation they belong to when creating their account.

Positions: Manager, Employee
Organisations: CompanyA, CompanyB, CompanyC and so on

What I want to happen is, if Jeff chooses Manager, and any company, CompanyA for this example. I want him to then become the Staff Manager for CompanyA and all the Employees within it, giving him access to the Teams tab etc. Then if Jane signs up by choosing Employee and CompanyA, then she will automatically have her manager set as to Jeff (as he chose to be Manager of CompanyA). Jeff can then see the Teams tab, click on it, and see Jane, plus anyone else who chooses to be an Employee of CompanyA.

Is this possible in any way at all as it is a fairly important part of how I'd like my set up to work.

Many thanks :)

Craig Eves
Re: Dynamic managers based on Position and Organisation Hierarchies
de Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 15 de January de 2018, 17:21
Grupo Totara

Hi Nathan 

I can't think of a way to automatically assign the staff manager role to people who belong to an organisation. It is possible to assign a system role to users in an organisation through audiences but this would allow the staff manager to see users across the system (other organisations)

There is an option for HR Import to assign the manager of anyone who belongs to organisation A to  a specified user. To do this would require a User report that outputs the information  to CSV file  and the CSV file to assign the manager.

In your scenario what is preventing someone from saying they are a manager when they aren't and being able to access others accounts?

regards

? ?
Re: Dynamic managers based on Position and Organisation Hierarchies
de ? ? - Monday, 22 de January de 2018, 06:44

Thanks for that clarification Craig.

What I did in the end, and works great, is created a scheduled task to run every X minute(s), and for each user, I set their manager to the person who chose the manager position.

So I didn't actually need to set any roles, and now the manager has access to the Teams tab and can view the progress of their users.