Suggest Totara Learn features

TL-4156 - Give admin the capability to edit and delete course completion records

? ?
TL-4156 - Give admin the capability to edit and delete course completion records
by ? ? - Tuesday, 9 December 2014, 5:16 PM

All is explained in the subject line.

Additional discussion can be found in

https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=17699

https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=19000#p15418

This feature / enhancement request (tracked under enhancement ID 11568) has been deemed high priority and is under consideration for development by Totara core. 

This does not indicate a delivery commitment.  Development of the functionality is subject to further prioritization and resource availability.

Development priorities are reviewed regularly.  If you wish to escalate your market need for this functionality, please contact your Totara Channel Partner Manager.

Updated the subject to include the new tracker ID of TL-4156 for this feature request.

Peter Pappas
Re: 11568 - Give admin the capability to edit and delete course completion records
by Peter Pappas - Saturday, 2 May 2015, 7:04 AM

+1 Please!

Peter

Wen Hao Chuang
Re: 11568 - Give admin the capability to edit and delete course completion records
by Wen Hao Chuang - Wednesday, 6 May 2015, 11:47 AM

Yes +1 here too! :)

Lorence Issa
by Lorence Issa - Thursday, 14 May 2015, 3:54 PM

+1 here as well.

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Friday, 15 May 2015, 7:29 AM
Group Totara

Just to everyone know we are working on specs for this feature at the moment. We are likely to have lots of questions about the detailed requirements as we progress which we'll post here.

We have already identified that this feature is tightly tied to the Record of Learning as it's vital to have a good audit trail if people are able to modify completion records. So as well as a report of a user's current status, we will have a historic record showing changes in state.

My first question is, would you expect to be able to completely purge records from that historic record, or should we just add new items to the history but prevent people modifying the history itself?

To give an example, imagine a user with the following history for "Course 1"

User A Enrolled in course 1        1st Jan     System update
User A in progress in course 1   10th Jan   System update
User A completes course 1         30th Jan   System update
User A not yet started course 1   15th Feb   Manual update by admin user

In this case the admin user has come along and removed their completion record, so it wouldn't show in their record of learning, but the history of the changes is still recorded in the history log.

Would you expect an admin to be able to delete records from the history log displayed above?

Personally I think keeping the audit trail is very important, so I would say no, but I know in some countries there are privacy/data retention laws which require that data is actually deleted. So interested to hear what people think about this one.

Simon

This forum post has been removed
Friday, 15 May 2015, 7:51 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Monday, 18 May 2015, 1:12 AM
Group Learn Site Administrator

Hi,

From our perspective I agree with Amir in that an option to be able to 'override' with keeping the audit trail or add to the audit trail would be the best option. 

Occasionally course completions are added by mistake by administrators (e.g. if more than one staff member has the same name and works in the same department!).  In this instance we would want to delete the record completely from one user and add it to another without keeping the audit trail.

Thanks for looking at this, it's going to be a big help.

Kind regards
Steph

Peter Pappas
by Peter Pappas - Saturday, 16 May 2015, 6:59 AM

Hi Simon,

In our business timekeeping software any changes to a persons record requires audit remarks. This could show in the history but not be part of the record of learning perhaps?

Peter

Peter Pappas
by Peter Pappas - Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 12:00 AM

Hi Simon,

Has any progress been made on this. I have a situation where an auditor has written a finding for our LMS due to completion dates not matching uploaded assignments (Learner receives a certificate of completion from a source outside totara and the evidence is loaded into the system as an assignment) If admin was able to edit the date to match the upload this would allow us to use assignments and not rely on RPL and Evidence Items under other evidence.

Thank you,

Peter

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 3:19 PM
Group Totara

Hi Peter,

We are still working on the specs for this. As it turns out this is a rather complex feature as changes to completion can have unexpected side effects, and we need to ensure we've thought it through carefully. However we are still very much committed to this feature.

Simon

Peter Pappas
by Peter Pappas - Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 5:52 PM

Thank you Simon,

We are still very much looking forward to Totara's solution.

Peter

Jani Lemmetyinen
by Jani Lemmetyinen - Friday, 15 April 2016, 5:41 AM

Hi Simon!

One of our clients recently asked about this feature and I definitely think this is very important issue.

I agree that keeping the audit trail is very important - and that's also what our client said.  

Furthermore I think the way program completion editor shows the audit trail or transaction history is good and very suitable for course audit trails as well.

What is the current situation of development of this feature?

Best regards,
Jani
me
by George Angus - Monday, 15 August 2016, 8:02 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jani,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you - this feature wont make Totara 9, but it is definitely a candidate for an Evergreen release afterwards and is being treated as one of our priorities.

regards,

George.

Paul Lowndes
by Paul Lowndes - Thursday, 16 May 2019, 9:10 AM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hi George 

I see this is an old post but what was the outcome of this feature request?

Is this feature available on Totara 11?

Thanks

Paul

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 16 May 2019, 5:52 PM
Group Totara

Hi Paul

The course completion editor is available in version 11 - it has been added to versions 9.11 and above

cheers

Paul Lowndes
by Paul Lowndes - Thursday, 30 May 2019, 12:31 AM

Thanks Craig

I have had a quick look at the documentation. Can you confirm that I can use this feature to bulk delete course completions or is record by record?

The problem we have is that we auto enrolled the wrong course to a large number of users and need to roll this back.

Thanks

Paul

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 3 June 2019, 7:08 PM
Group Totara

Hi Paul

I can confirm that the course completion editor works on a record by record basis unfortunately.

Regards

Paul Lowndes
by Paul Lowndes - Tuesday, 20 August 2019, 4:26 AM

Hi Craig

We are on T11. I have another user case.

I would like to delete a course completion record of a learner who has been wrongly enroled via audience synch because they have been added to the wrong audience.

I have been able to delete course completion records previously when learners have been manually enrolled but when auto enrolled I seem not to have the option to:
1. unerol
2. Delete

Can you advise?

Thanks
Paul

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 20 August 2019, 4:40 PM
Group Totara

Hi Paul

Can you confirm that the user is no longer a member of the audience that was enrolling them and the course is not part of a program or certification?

Also some related information - we are currently working on a script for 12.9  (TL-21672) that will allow the bulk deletion of completion records  

Regards

Csaba Gloner
Re: TL-4156 - Give admin the capability to edit and delete course completion records
by Csaba Gloner - Thursday, 15 December 2016, 1:06 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Partners

+1 , it would be very important to be able to manually edit the completions, add completion date, etc. 

Vaida Holohan
Re: TL-4156 - Give admin the capability to edit and delete course completion records
by Vaida Holohan - Thursday, 8 June 2017, 2:57 AM
Group 2022 Learner of the Year (Bronze)Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

+1, it would be great to have this functionality

Rita Ansbro
by Rita Ansbro - Thursday, 8 June 2017, 11:39 PM

Hi,

We would also go with the option to be able to 'override' whilst keeping the audit trail or adding to the audit trail would be the best option. 

We find that sometimes course completions are added by mistake by administrators, for example if we have more than one member of staff with the same, who works in the same department, rare, but happens.  We would then like to be able to delete the record completely from the member of staff's record and add it to the correct member of staff's records, whilst keeping the audit trail, so we know what has been done.

This would be really useful to us.

Rita