Suggest Totara Learn features

TL-3104 FEATURE: Report of when messages/emails have been sent by the system

? ?
TL-3104 FEATURE: Report of when messages/emails have been sent by the system
by ? ? - Thursday, 23 April 2015, 1:54 PM

Add the ability to log e-mails sent through the Message Users tab administration side of a face-to-face session.

The TL-3104 request is for the following:

Is it possible for me to see a report of when messages/emails have been sent by the system? Specifically, I am interested in the following data points:

Time of when email-based self registration email was sent
To whom it was sent
Time of when program enrollment email sent to user
We currently use dynamic audiences for our new users.
We use an email alias for the outgoing messages. My concern is that since it's an alias, many programs might think it's spam/junk email and as a results the account confirmation emails are not being processed along with the program enrollment emails.

? ?
Re: T-14430 - log emails sent using Message Users tab in face-to-face session
by ? ? - Monday, 8 June 2015, 8:54 PM

The above request has been deemed a duplicate of existing request TL-3104.

Feature request TL-3104 has been deemed high priority and is under consideration for development by Totara core.

This does not indicate a delivery commitment.  Development of the functionality is subject to further prioritization and resource availability.

Development priorities are reviewed regularly.  If you wish to escalate your market need for this functionality, please contact your Totara Channel Partner Manager.

Jani Lemmetyinen
Re: T-14430 - log emails sent using Message Users tab in face-to-face session
by Jani Lemmetyinen - Tuesday, 9 June 2015, 3:52 AM

+ 1 as well. Very useful feature to our customers.

Kai Niethammer
Re: TL-3104 FEATURE: Report of when messages/emails have been sent by the system
by Kai Niethammer - Monday, 8 June 2015, 11:34 PM

+1 from me

Rickard Skiold
Re: TL-3104 FEATURE: Report of when messages/emails have been sent by the system
by Rickard Skiold - Tuesday, 9 June 2015, 2:05 AM

+1 from us! A log of emails sent from various Totara-features is a very common request from our customers.

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Wednesday, 17 June 2015, 5:39 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

This was built by Catalyst IT in 2011 for our instance as a report source styled 'maillog'.  It runs well in Totara 1.1 and our current 2.4 site.  I'm prompt them to upstream it!

Wen Hao Chuang
by Wen Hao Chuang - Thursday, 25 June 2015, 9:40 AM

+1. We have this done already, as a custom development. I can tell everyone that this feature is VERY VERY helpful for troubleshooting.

Martin Sandberg
by Martin Sandberg - Friday, 26 June 2015, 12:16 AM
Group Partners

There is a report source for messages but that shows only unread messages. When messages have been read or dismissed they get moved to the table "messages_read".

We have a reportsource that shows the messages in "messages_read" that we would be willing to share. Ideally there should be a reportsource that shows both "messages" and "messages_read" but two reports for the full picture is better than one for only part of it.

Messages not sent through the messaging system do not show up so it does not give the full picture anyway but gives better possibilities than before...

Nathan Lewis
by Nathan Lewis - Sunday, 28 June 2015, 3:10 PM
Group Totara

Hi Everyone.

Just to give you guys a bit of help, if you didn't know already. In report builder, it's possible to have complex subquerys in the "base". A simple report specifies a single table, such as program completion:

$this->base = '{prog_completion}';

However the Record of Learning: Courses uses a complex query for its base, which joins several tables together. The fields in the message and message_read tables is almost the same (just "timeread" added in message_read), so you could probably merge the data from the tables using this method:

$this->base = "(SELECT *, 0 AS timeread FROM {message} UNION SELECT * FROM {message_read})";

This isn't an official patch, just something to give you a hand, off the top of my head.

Nathan

Vaida Holohan
by Vaida Holohan - Monday, 4 September 2017, 6:14 AM
Group 2022 Learner of the Year (Bronze)Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator
+1 from me too, it would be helpful to have this report for certification notifications
Tijs Holkenborg
by Tijs Holkenborg - Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 2:57 AM
Group Partners
+1
Is there an update concerning this feature making it to Totara Learn?
me
by George Angus - Monday, 2 April 2018, 7:48 PM
Group Totara

Hi Tijs,

Its unlikely to developed in the short-to-medium time frame; its part of our Messaging System Refactor project which is still being specced.

cheers,

George.

Paul Lowndes
by Paul Lowndes - Monday, 1 March 2021, 4:02 AM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hi George do you have an update on Messaging System Refactor project please?

I am keen to be able to confirm what emails are being sent out from the system to onboard new learners. We have reports of emails not being received by new users ( they are not in spam folders)  but are unable to confirm if they have been sent out from the system.

It seems there is no out of the box solution currently confirm what emails have been sent out.

Thanks

Paul

me
by George Angus - Monday, 1 March 2021, 2:59 PM
Group Totara

Hi Paul,

We'll get back to you on the Messaging System Refactor project, but I don't think its going to be in the immediate future.

Can you tell us how the emails are being generated - what I'd check would be the messages report source and/or the site logs.

cheers,

George.