Suggest Totara Learn features

This forum discussion has been removed

This forum post has been removed
Friday, 1 December 2017, 12:00 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
David
Re: TL-5140 Implement general purpose messaging library
by David Shaw - Thursday, 7 December 2017, 9:26 AM

Hi Jonathan,

Great document that shows the breadth of issues and the wide ranging impact any changes made will have.

I think we also need to take into account additional messaging methods that partners will be adding e.g. SMS which will require different message content.  Currently messages can be sent to Task block, Alert block, Popup notification, Email which can all contain the same text but if we needed to integrate into an SMS service we wouldn't be able to send the same text used in an email via an SMS.

I don't expect Totara to write an SMS integraton but any solution proposed requires an architecture that allows us to link to and define messages for other communication methods.

David

Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 4:02 PM
Martin Sandberg
by Martin Sandberg - Monday, 22 January 2018, 12:45 AM
Group Partners

Hi Jonathan,

Will have a look through the document when I get the time. Just wanted to chime in a little as I saw that you talked about SMS.

At Xtractor we have built a message output plugin for SMS (using gatewayapi.com as the SMS service). It picks the smallmessage, if available. We can also add a standard SMS footer (with some replacement strings) to all SMSes.

The plugin works as any other message output plugin in that it can be configured to send certain types of messages, either by an admin or if allowed by the users themselves.

The customer that we developed it for needed it for a project where massive amounts of doctors/nurses needed training in a a new system via both online and face-to-face courses.

As there were a lot of face-to-face classes some needed to be cancelled at a very late stage. So we added a tab in face-to-face called SMS Users based on Message Users but with the added possibility to select a template and sending the message through a specific message type that we had added that only sent through SMS.

Another instance where we now see a use for this is with reengagement. Allowing the admin to set up reminders that can be sent either with email or SMS if the user has not completed parts of the course. We have only set this up for testing so far.

Have to go to a meeting now....

If you have any questions, please ask

/ Martin Sandberg

Xtractor

Steve Lowenthal
by Steve Lowenthal - Tuesday, 12 December 2017, 8:32 AM
Group Partners

Hi Jonathan,

I think this is definitely heading in the right direction.  One area to also consider is more marketing style messaging, e.g. Trigger = time since last log-in.  We get a lot of requests for this.  

This may be inferred but what about Activity triggers. We've been exploring adding Completion Dates / Periods to Activities as an extension to Access Restriction for an Activity to support campaigns or spaced learning sequences, e.g. if I don't complete an activity in 10 days, I get a notification, the next activity is released 10 days after the previous one was released and I receive a notification.  

Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 4:10 PM
Steve Lowenthal
by Steve Lowenthal - Monday, 19 March 2018, 11:52 AM
Group Partners

Hi Jonathan,

Any updates on this work?  We're responding to an RFP that has a lot of requirements around messaging and I think this functionality will address at least some of it.  What are the odds this is released in 2018?

Thanks.

Monday, 19 March 2018, 11:48 PM
Susan Hurley
by Susan Hurley - Wednesday, 25 April 2018, 8:23 AM
Group Partners
Hi Jonathan, 

I'm working with a client who is requesting we create a full messaging system inside Totara. So they would be able to:

- Message users (one or multiple)

- Browse and add attachments to a message

- See a report of messages I've sent

- See when a user read a message

- See if a user deleted a message unread

- Re-send or forward a message previously sent

The document you posted talks about Totara components, but not about general messaging. In reality, this is recreating Outlook within Totara. Talking to our developer, it seems all the information is there, except Totara doesn't currently allow messaging to multiple users and adding attachments. For this use, the current Totara messaging UI won't work very well. 

Do you plan that this messaging rework would enable a more robust system to message between users, including any of these requirements?

Thanks much!

Susan

Susan Hurley
by Susan Hurley - Friday, 27 April 2018, 11:08 AM
Group Partners

Hi guys, 

Just a ping on this, since we are waiting on your answer before we decide if we work on customizations for this client. 

Thanks!

Susan

Thursday, 3 May 2018, 3:55 PM
Susan Hurley
by Susan Hurley - Monday, 7 May 2018, 11:46 AM
Group Partners

No, this is actually the first time I've had this request. This is for a long-term client we've discussed before, whom we've been working with for a few years and they have a highly customized site. So we'll pursue this as a customization. If you would  like more detail or to see what we plan to do, as always, just let me know. 

Thanks!

Susan

Tijs Holkenborg
by Tijs Holkenborg - Wednesday, 15 August 2018, 6:31 AM
Group Partners

In addition to all of the above, it would be nice to have an HTML-editor available within every notification configuration. 

Tony Richens
by Tony Richens - Monday, 4 February 2019, 8:24 AM
Group Partners

+1 from me. There is currently an inconsistency between notifications where the Seminar notification supports HTML-based emails and the programme / Certification emails do not. 

Would be a nice feature to add as well as providing consistency within the product.

Tony

Friday, 24 August 2018, 6:16 AM
Monday, 24 September 2018, 3:42 PM
Wednesday, 17 October 2018, 1:52 AM
Angela Grollmisch
by Angela Grollmisch - Tuesday, 22 January 2019, 11:38 PM

Hi Jonathan, I agree to the document. Digitizing of communication requires more control over what messages and alerts a system sending ...

You opened this discussion in December 2017. We are now in January 2019.

So, when will this be finalized? This is important to know for us because we are about to pay for a customization of the Learning Plan messaging and notifications capabilities.

This is something really urgent to fix and improve, as this component does strange things - it sends messages to manager even if the whole workflow denies any access to the plan or to any component. If you don't have a clear plan to improve the messaging. Administrators need to have full control over what messages are being sent according to the access rights defined in the workflow. And of course, the message itself needs to be customizable and allow for a nice UI design.

Many thanks for replying to this message and giving some more details on roadmaps.

Wednesday, 23 January 2019, 8:04 PM
Angela Grollmisch
by Angela Grollmisch - Thursday, 28 February 2019, 3:57 AM

Hi Jonathan, Thanks for looking into this.

Our problem looks different: a manager has no permission at all, and the learner does not request approval because they have the right to approve it on their own.

Even though the manager gets notified by the system, when a learner adds content to its private learning plan.

This should not happen in our opinion.

Setting: Custom Workflow - manager rights=deny to every single object (plan, course, competency, program, etc.)

Thanks, Angela

Mark Carey
by Mark Carey - Sunday, 18 August 2019, 9:14 PM
Group Partners
This is a great discussion. I think the reworking of messaging will be a huge bonus for Totara users.

As well as the suggestions that are made in the paper, and in the discussion, I'd like to underline a couple of features:

• Messaging at the course level with activity triggers etc. 
  • Bulk emailing is often required on launch, when there are major changes to a system, etc. Integrations with third party bulk emailing services that are more suited to bulk emailing than Totara should be expected to be could be a considered. There are lots of things to think about e.g. some organisations won't want their user addresses to be stored in a 3rd party system, but these systems are properly designed to handle email scheduling, spam, the risk of being listed as a spammer (not a good look for an LMS!), and so on.
  • I'd like to see granular control over who can and can't send and receive messages. An interesting recent use case is where a group of users are not permitted to send or receive email, SMS, or even internal messaging. This is very un-moodle, I know, but it's a legitimate use case.
  • The solution needs good logging and reporting. Administrators want to know that the message was sent.
Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Tuesday, 20 August 2019, 12:36 AM
Group Learn Site Administrator

Hi Jonathan,

All this looks really good and is going to benefit us no end however I do have one query.

Currently when we edit a seminar notification it resends the new notification to all those who should have received it, for example, we edit the confirmation email with a small piece of information and the email is then resent to everyone who has ever been 'booked' to attend the course, even if they have now been 'fully attended'. 

Will the new messaging library allow us to choose to use amended notifications from this point forward if appropriate across all areas of the system, not just seminars?

Apologies if I have missed this in a previous release and we can already do this.

Kind regards
Steph