Totara Social Open Discussions

Forums versus Ideas/Questions versus Status Update

Yuliya Bozhko
Re: Forums versus Ideas/Questions versus Status Update
by Yuliya Bozhko - Tuesday, 15 December 2015, 4:17 PM

Hi Stephen,

I cannot comment on pros and cons of various content types. However, I wanted to mention here that if you are using Elasticsearch with your installation, you already have a powerful search functionality that can search through users, groups, forums, content, etc.

My opinion is that forums provide a more structured discussion with the ability to moderate, promote certain topics, and engage with a specific community (group) without worrying about "who I need to share this post with" all the time.

The idea behind the Questions is seeking expertise and developing a knowledge database where people can express their opinion on a certain topic and the most relevant/suitable answer can be highlighted for the future reference.

Status updates/quick post are quite self-explanatory. They are a simple way of keeping your community up-to-date with what's happening. They are not a part of the main content (i.e. you won't find them under Contribute menu), however they are still searchable with the Elasticsearch enabled.

Yuliya