Totara Social Open Discussions

Tenancies versus Groups

? ?
Tenancies versus Groups
by ? ? - Tuesday, 1 December 2015, 9:39 PM

Apologies for all these posts on one day......getting excited about TS and trying to launch it! :)

Our site, Medcast, is a 'community of communities'. So we have our own 'home' of 9000 GPs discussing cases and politics etc. But we also provide the option for likeminded groups, eg Charities/NGOs to house their Group/Community on the platform.

Some of these groups will be quite simple and so is obviously a 'Group' in the TS terminology (although we will call them communities).

Q1: What are the opportunities for branding/theming at the 'Group' level, other than uploading an image to the top of the Group?

Some of these entities are more substantial eg a government group/large charity. We will offer these groups a tenancy. However, many GPs will be members of several tenancies- eg the Medcast 'Home' tenancy (Tenancy A), and maybe the Charity XYZ tenancy (tenancy B).

Q2: If a question/Idea/status update is posted by a user in tenancy A, not within any group, will a user who is a member of tenancy A+B, but is logged in via tenancy B, be able to see all of those 'non-group' housed items?

I have been thinking of a Group as a 'container' and a Tenancy as a 'backdrop' to the 'container. So if that is correct, I would imagine that I could information in a Group, and regardless of which Tenancy I am part of, as long as I have permission to see that Group, I can see it via my tenancy.

Also, if I post a question or idea or status update whilst in Tenancy A, if a member of Tenancy B is also part of Tenancy A, it is as though the 'backdrop' of A and B overlap and questions, comments, status from either tenancy will be viewable in that member's activity feed. They should also be able to still see 'my Groups' on the R hand side.

Sorry if this sounds over-complicated, but it is hard to get it all sorted in my head!

Kind regards

Stephen

Craig Eves
Re: Tenancies versus Groups
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 10 May 2016, 4:46 PM
Group Totara

Hi Stephen

Have discovered your post - 

Q1: What are the opportunities for branding/theming at the 'Group' level, other than uploading an image to the top of the Group?

There isn't an ability to allocate a theme to a group unfortunately in Social but it is possible to allow users to choose a theme when creating a page. 

(Configure Site > Site options > User settings) this would require the theme to be created. 

In Mahara which Social is based on there are skins which are user friendly ways to change appearance of pages see http://manual.mahara.org/en/16.04/portfolio/skins.html - skins aren't  implemented in Social - not sure of the plans for this there may be issues I am not aware of.

Q2 

I tested this out when an idea is proposed and you select share to everyone people in other tenants can view your idea irrespective of groups. Groups can be created across tenants - you can invite others or make open groups or request membership. 

I don't think when you belong to more than one tenant you choose which institution you have logged in from  there is only  have one authentication method (login) per user so would login from the same tenant. You would be able access content from both tenants though.

Hopefully that clarifies things