Totara Social Open Discussions

Totora Social App

? ?
Totora Social App
by ? ? - Monday, 11 April 2016, 11:44 PM

Hi Yuliya,

Just wondering if there is any progress on the TS app? It would be a very useful addition and not sure where it currently rests on the roadmap.

Kind regards

Stephen

Yuliya Bozhko
Re: Totora Social App
by Yuliya Bozhko - Wednesday, 13 April 2016, 1:45 PM

Hi Stephen,

I don't have much to update on TS app.

We are currently re-evaluating our approach in terms of whether to put development effort in improving responsiveness of the main site or develop the mobile app. Since we don't have required mobile development expertise and any knowledge of getting the apps to the App store, it might be something that we need to consider. I happened to have a discussion with a mobile development expert from Resolve Digital (a company who develops e-commerce apps) and was advised to consider maintenance, updates, and support costs for a mobile app (it is basically like having a new product). Getting into this area would require a lot of effort and resources and would prevent us from putting this effort into improving the current system. Right now, I am trying to analyse pros and cons of having an app vs responsive main site.

If you have any suggestions or thoughts on this topic, feel free to share them with us.

Regards,

Yuliya

? ?
Re: Totora Social App
by ? ? - Thursday, 14 April 2016, 8:14 PM

Thanks Yulia,

I can see that it is a big investment. I guess that the most important thing is to get the site core features and mobile responsiveness sorted out first. Ideally an app would be good, particularly for notifications the way Slack does it. It stops users having to keep logging in, provides a quick view of notifications etc. However I can see this is probably a lower priority at present. 

Kind regards

Stephen