Previous General Totara Learn discussions (read only)

Temporary Managers Permissions

? ?
Temporary Managers Permissions
by ? ? - Sunday, 29 May 2016, 1:45 PM

Hi all,

I have added temporary managers to our system, as we have external team who require a staff manager as well as a second manager from their team.

What permissions does a temp manager have? eg  can they manage bookings for their team?

Thanks

Kate

me
Re: Temporary Managers Permissions
by George Angus - Sunday, 29 May 2016, 7:36 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kate,

The Temporary manager will have the same permissions as a manager, but in the case of managing bookings, they will need be enrolled into the course with the appropriate role.

There's some guidance here and discussion of the issue here. I think the inline help could be clearer in the f2f activity settings page, I've submitted an Improvement bug to that effect.

regards,

George.

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 30 May 2016, 4:48 PM

Hi George,

thanks for your help on this.

However this does not seem to work for temporary managers. Is there something different in their permissions?

Basically I want to have two managers for some people in the system so using the temp manager is the only way to do that.

Thanks

Kate

me
by George Angus - Monday, 30 May 2016, 6:00 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kate,

This isnt possible at present, the Temporary manager takes over the role from the manager. Have you enrolled the Temporary manager into the course with the role of a manager?

cheers,

George.

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 30 May 2016, 6:41 PM

I have not done that yet but will definitely be the next step.

is there a way to create an audience for temp managers and then enrol them into the course as managers so I don't need to manually work around it each time?

Thanks

Kate

me
by George Angus - Monday, 30 May 2016, 7:29 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kate,

Yep - you can create an audience of users, then if you go to the Course admin>Users>Enrolment methods and add the Audience sync method you have the capability to assign a role to the Audience enrolment there. It looks like there is a bug in the Dynamic Audience rule 'Has direct reports' which will pull all those with the role of Manager - its not recognising Temporary managers  - so I've submitted a bug report and linked it to this ticket - we'll inform you when we've fixed. In the meantime you can add the Temporary managers manually to the audience, or by some other metric.

cheers,

George.

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 5:33 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kate,

Our Senior devs have determined that changing the current behaviour constitutes an improvement rather than a bug. I've created a post in the Suggest features forum here (ref: TL-9342) for visibility and comment. We will let you know via this thread when our Feature Review process has been completed.

Regards,

George.