Previous General Totara Learn discussions (read only)

CSV upload not common characters

? ?
CSV upload not common characters
de ? ? - Tuesday, 5 de July de 2016, 06:49

For a client we use an csv upload. In the orignal xlsx file the characters are normal displayed. But I've we convert the to an csv file we noticed that characters are not displayed in the right way. 

We also open the file in Notepad++ to convert the file to the right characters but there are still characters who aren't displayed well. 

Does anyone have an solution for this problem? It's often with polish characters.

Esta publicación en el foro ha sido eliminada.
Tuesday, 5 de July de 2016, 07:14
El contenido de esta publicación del foro se ha eliminado y ya no se puede acceder a él.
Hellmuth Sole
Re: CSV upload not common characters
de Hellmuth Sole - Tuesday, 5 de July de 2016, 07:58

Hi Rogier, in our case we use Spanish characters, and the process to assure they're being displayed correctly when we do Totara Sync (I believe this is what you're talking about) is as follows:

1. In Excel, we save the file to .csv (windows comma separated values) format.

2. We then open the file in a free program called Programmer's Notepad (http://www.pnotepad.org)

3. In the file tab, we select "encoding" and then select UTF-8 No Mark.

4. We then save the file and upload via Totara Sync

Accent marks and other characters of this type are then properly synced for things like names, job titles, etc.

Hope this helps.

Hellmuth.

? ?
Re: CSV upload not common characters
de ? ? - Wednesday, 6 de July de 2016, 03:07

Simplest way is directly in excel it should offer you the save as MS-DOS Comma Separated (.csv) which I find has the least encoding problems inherent with windows