Previous General Totara Learn discussions (read only)

List of Courses showing up twice on front page

? ?
List of Courses showing up twice on front page
door ? ? - Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 02:44 AM

In the front page settings, we have both Enrolled courses and List of Courses visible.
When a learner first logs in, it shows the list of courses twice.
This looks like an error and I would like to prevent it.
Once they've enrolled in a course, the problem does not occur, and it shows enrolled courses, then list of courses.
However, I'd like it to look right when they first log in. I'm wondering if anyone has run into this and if there is a solution.
Thanks!

me
Re: List of Courses showing up twice on front page
door George Angus - Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 17:00 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Andrew,

There should be a list of Available courses and a list of My courses - what are the headers of the courses shown twice? Can tell me what you have in the Front page settings, and the Front page items when logged in? 

I've upgraded your account to that of a Subscriber.

Cheers,

George.

? ?
door ? ? - Thursday, 23 June 2016, 02:05 AM

Hi George,

Below is a snapshot of my front page settings.

You can see that the front page settings when logged in include:

Enrolled Courses
List of Courses.

Enrolled Courses shows up as My Courses. That only appears after a learner has started a course.
List of Courses normally shows up as Available Courses, though we've renamed it to Featured Courses and have limited it to show only 9 courses.
That list of courses, the 9 courses, shows up twice when a user first logs in. Once they've started a class, the problem goes away, and it shows My Courses with a list of (up to 9) enrolled courses and the Featured Courses (AKA Available Courses AKA List of Courses) shows up only once.

me
door George Angus - Thursday, 23 June 2016, 15:46 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the clarification and screenshot. What you are seeing is the result of a purposeful design strategy to ensure the learner would be able to see courses even if he/she wasnt enrolled in any - so 'Enrolled courses' defaults to all courses, but we completely agree that when used in conjunction with the List of courses its quite wrong for two identical lists to appear. 

I've alerted our dev team about this issue and linked this thread to our internal ticket to ensure you are informed about its resolution. At present the only workaround I can think of would be to limit the Front page items to one or the other, not both.

Once again thanks for spotting this issue and reporting it.

regards,

George.

David
door David Shaw - Thursday, 23 June 2016, 01:37 AM

Hi Andrew,

I'm pretty certain that if you are not enrolled on any courses the Enrolled courses block shows all courses on the site.

Once you are enrolled on a course it only shows the ones you are enrolled on.

David

? ?
door ? ? - Thursday, 23 June 2016, 01:56 AM

Hi David,

We've limited the number of courses it shows to 9. The problem is that it is showing those 9 courses twice.