Previous General Totara Learn discussions (read only)

This forum discussion has been removed

This forum post has been removed
Monday, 20 March 2017, 4:35 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Monday, 20 March 2017, 5:16 AM
Monday, 20 March 2017, 8:23 AM
Monday, 20 March 2017, 8:42 AM
Monday, 20 March 2017, 9:06 AM
Eric Schwarzweller
Re: How can messages in Totara be so pathethically poor?
by Eric Schwarzweller - Monday, 20 March 2017, 9:17 AM

Hey Victor--I do not know you, so I will assume best intent. Do you have any actionable ideas for improving messaging within Totara LMS? Any guidance that the community can use to improve their messaging? Are you looking for ideas from others in regards to how they have addressed the opportunities you have pointed out in regards to email notifications within Totara? I wonder if we can get a group together to solution a fix or at least begin to put together a solution?

I will freely admit that implementing a solution would be beyond my capabilities, but speaking for myself, when I am only reading a tirade full of issues with no proposed resolution I certainly do not have any incentive to lend time or resources to the resolution of this problem (which would be value that you could possibly obtain by requesting assistance/guidance through an open source community forum like this one). Feel free to participate in the community as you wish, but I am willing to bet you will get much more assistance by asking for it (and much quicker resolution by proposing a solution).

John Unnever
Re: How can messages in Totara be so pathethically poor?
by John Unnever - Monday, 20 March 2017, 9:37 AM
Group Partners

There is a function in Totara / Moodle for sending emails called 'email_to_user'.  It is called like this...

email_to_user($user, $from, $subject, $message);

This function also accepts html messages to be sent if you call it like this:

email_to_user($user, $from, $subject, $message, $message)   Where the second $message variable is a message that includes HTML content. 

I am using this method to send users messages with HTML content inside Totara.

I also modified '
function setnew_password_and_mail' in moodlelib.php so that i could send the users password and username email with html.
I also broke up the email so it would send the username in one email and the password in a second email because of our business needs to do so.