Previous General Totara Learn discussions (read only)

Program Enrolment for Site Managers

Bev Hares
Program Enrolment for Site Managers
door Bev Hares - Thursday, 5 October 2017, 03:46 AM

Am I doing something something wrong? I have a site using v9.9. A number of 'Certifications' have been created and a 'Certification History Import' has been performed.  Those users who are now currently due to re-certify have received notifications as expected and as they launch the course within the certification they are enrolled onto the course.  This is all fine and as expected.

However, there are 5 users on this site who have the 'Site Manager' role - These 5 users have also had their 'Certification History' imported and have been notified that they are due to re-certify.  When these Site Manager's launch the courses through the certification it does not enrol them onto the course and therefore does not track their subsequent completion.

Can someone advise me if there is a setting somewhere that I should be checking to allow Site Managers to be 'Program Enrolled' onto courses?

Many thanks

Bev

Sam Hemelryk
Re: Program Enrolment for Site Managers
door Sam Hemelryk - Thursday, 5 October 2017, 14:43 PM
Groep Totara
Hi Bev,

It is because they hold the site manager role, essentially they can already enter the courses, so the enrolment is not created when they launch the course.
Because they're not enrolled they are not tracked for completion.

This is a known issue with the program enrolment plugin, as it is not designed to give access until the learner launches the course, and it relies upon the user not already having access.
In your case the immediate workaround is to manually enrol the user in the course.
As they are a site manager they can do this themselves by default.

I don't imagine this will give you the behaviour you expect however.

Unless you have modified the roles the site manager is privileged role that can administer many parts of the product, including the courses and activities.
When the site manager is enrolled as a learner they will be tracked for completion, but because they have the site manager role they will be recognised as a privileged user and will be shown the trainer interfaces rather than the learner interfaces in many areas of the product.
As such their experience as a site manager and a learner will differ greatly from your average learner, and in many cases they may not be able to take learning as they are recognised as a site manager.
It should be noted that for security reasons we would also advise against making the site manager a learner.

The best solution depends upon what you are trying to achieve, and what your site manager is responsible for.

Kind regards
Sam Hemelryk