Suggest Totara Learn features

This forum discussion has been removed

This forum post has been removed
Monday, 4 December 2017, 5:48 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Craig Eves
Re: Report enrolled courses versus role
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 4 December 2017, 3:23 PM
Group Totara

Hi Stephanie

There isn't a report source that includes the user's role. Currently there are  couple of feature requests TL-12392 and TL-12393 for this functionality . Unfortunately development of these have stalled as they would add significant performance problems.

There is a field in version 10 in the course completion source that sounds promising called Enrolment types that lists the enrolment methods. If tried adding a name to audience sync that included the role that was being assigned. 

I was hoping this would appear in the report  but unfortunately the role didn't appear in the report below. 

The information does appear when the user goes to their profile and selects a course.

The url for the profile screen is /user/profile.php so perhaps this could be used .

Let me know whether this sounds OK as a workaround

regards

Joan Perez
by Joan Perez - Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 12:21 AM
Group Partners

FYI, Stephanie.

We faced a similar situation a few months ago over Totara 9 but only trainers were involved. In that case, we handled trainers through assets and used the Seminar Sign-ups data source to create the report we needed.

Hope this can help a little.

Ian MacKinnon
by Ian MacKinnon - Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 3:20 AM

This feature is much needed and I see it requested a lot. There was discussion in May about fixing this issue (see here), Craig – is that the same feature request?

As a workaround you could create a course custom field where you type/select the name of the editing trainer, then create a course report with that column. Depending on how many trainers there are you could create a saved search for each trainer to view the courses they are assigned to. The saved search could be displayed via a report table block if the user customised their own dashboard.

This forum post has been removed
Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 4:51 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 12:22 PM
Group Totara

Hi Ian

This earlier feature request TL-4484 is linked to TL-12392 saying it might fix the ROL issue . Unfortunately the development has stalled due to performance problems of the solution.

regards

Jesper Doublestorm
by Jesper Doublestorm - Friday, 13 November 2020, 4:25 AM
Group Partners

Hi all,

I want to add to this topic...

We have for our biggest customer multiple custom roles that can be applied to a course that is not enroled as "learner", however they show up in the course completion report, and other course- or activity related reports. 

In our case we use roles to assign "course responsible", "course approver", "Course coordinator", as examples of roles.

By using roles we can easily assign which person has wich connection to each course, also we have 70.000+ users to choose from and not all roles are used on all courses...

These roles are built from EPMTY role. Hence they dont get any learner role or such via these special roles.

Having "role" as part of filter standard settings is major improvement. 

(And it has to able to handle custom setup roles as well.)

AND as a second addition to topic:

We use the ability to delegate manager role to assistant user - heavily.

But there is no role at all on system level defined for this kind of user.

So the appointed user cant acccess reports as a manger, even thou he has got the manager role appointed by original manager.

What we like to do is to add this "delegated mgr" role to be defined as a core role that be set on reports just as all the other roles in the system (which include less important roles like "guest")

Regards

Jesper

Linda Thomas
by Linda Thomas - Monday, 4 December 2023, 6:49 AM

Hi Jesper, I was just researching this topic and found your comment. I'm trying to have reporting include ONLY role = Student, and saw reference to EMPTY role. Can you explain further what you mean by These roles are built from EPMTY role. Hence they don't get any learner role or such via these special roles. Appreciate it. ~Linda

Jesper Doublestorm
by Jesper Doublestorm - Wednesday, 6 December 2023, 2:47 PM
Group Partners

Hi Linda,

my comment on adding roles to course level and "empty" was just the base when creating new roles. Also this is quite old comment i made..

Fast forward to 2023…
What you are seeking for is the filter setting that now exists. IS ENROLLED.
If you use report source "Course Completion" and then on filters add the filter "IS ENROLLED" and set it to yes, you will get your wanted output. Y

ou can kame that as saved default filer so when anyone opens the report that filter will be active.

Hope that helps

/J

Jesper Doublestorm
by Jesper Doublestorm - Wednesday, 6 December 2023, 11:52 PM
Group Partners

Last sentence should be:

You can have that saved as a default filter, so when anyone opens the report that filter will be active.

Linda Thomas
by Linda Thomas - Thursday, 7 December 2023, 6:44 AM

Thank you so much, that did it!

Linda Thomas
by Linda Thomas - Wednesday, 13 December 2023, 7:49 AM

Hello again, I'm finding that this didn't exactly return what I was looking for. For example, a user is enrolled in a course as Teacher, Almost Admin, and Theme Manager. I set the report filter as you indicate for Is Enrolled = Yes, but that user still appears in Supervisor's reports. Is there something I'm missing in a filter perhaps?

Jesper Doublestorm
by Jesper Doublestorm - Thursday, 14 December 2023, 7:54 AM
Group Partners

Hi Linda,
i'd say you did correct…

2 options from here, as I see it.

1)
Create a custom report to actually just select users enrolled as "Learner".
Requires coding…

2)

Move these persons with extra roles to category where course is held - if possible,
that will still make them assigned as these roles but drawback is it is for all courses within category.
But now they are not actually enrolled in course but still have a role in course within the "Other Users".

And the "Is enrolled" filter not needed now.

As a side note.
Totara has little to none support for filtering out users with a specific role in course or categories or system level. One has to get piece by piece and put together.
We created custom reports that scans system on all levels and see what is your assigned role and can filter on that as well. But hat is just for that purpose. Not for Managers to only see learners..
I think we use option 2 at most customers where applicable..

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 14 December 2023, 4:28 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jesper

There is a way to filter by role at course and category level through Bulk user actions .

Once these are selected they can have an action of exported or added to an audience.

Not the easiest workflow but may be workable.

regards