Totara Learn Open Discussions

Certifications expiring but no longer required

Carolyn Hawe
Certifications expiring but no longer required
de Carolyn Hawe - Sunday, 1 de July de 2018, 21:21

Hi everyone

My organisation has successfully imported certification records which are now informing users and managers that certifications are about to expire or expired. As in many organisations people have changed roles and the expired certification is no longer required by the staff member.

Can someone tell me how to set the certification so that a manager can record the certification is no longer needed and switch off the messaging.

Thanks so much. We are using Totara 9.

Carolyn

Craig Eves
Re: Certifications expiring but no longer required
de Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 2 de July de 2018, 17:06
Grupo Totara

Hi Carolyn

There is a report available 'Certification completion' that can be created. Go to the Content tab so only records from user's direct reports are displayed. Make this report only visible to the Staff Manager role under the Access tab and filter for status of Due or Expiring.

This report can be scheduled so it is delivered to staff managers.

The way for the user to no longer receive the notifications and no longer participate in the Certification is to unassign the user from the Certification.

If you want the staff manager role to be able to unassign users from the Certification then the role will need some capabilities added and the role to be assigned at a system level

• Configure program assignments (Allow)
  • Configure Certification (Allow)
  • Add and remove audience members (Allow)

Then when the Certification name link in the Certification completion is clicked on by the manager and the Edit Certification details is selected then users should be able to be unassigned.

Let me know how this goes - you may want to add more permissions  or combine with another role - not sure if the staff manager is the best person to be unassigning users.

The recording of the unassignment will be recorded in the Site Logs report. This will show the user who unassigned from the program and the user who unassigned them.

A custom user profile field can be created with visibility restricted to the staff manager role so they can add some information about why the user was unassigend from the certification.

Regards,

Craig

Carolyn Hawe
de Carolyn Hawe - Monday, 2 de July de 2018, 21:35

Hi Craig

Thanks for your help. We have set the Certifications report on the Manager's dashboard so that is working well but highlighting Certifications that are no longer required.

I have changed the settings as you suggested but logging in as a manager they cannot edit the Certification so can't remove from the individual assignment from the course .

The most logical place to manage these is in a staff member's 'Required' learning tab as shown in the image below. Is there any way that this could be done?

Thanks

Carolyn

Craig Eves
de Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 3 de July de 2018, 16:07
Grupo Totara

Hi Carolyn

Can you check that you assigned the user at a system level to the staff manager role - this should allow the Certification assignment to be edited.

I went in as a manager who is able to edit the certification through the Required learning option on team members report and this doesn't provide an option to unassign a user in the Certification. The required learning report is also not able to be edited as its not a report builder report. The user would need to go into the Certification through the report and then unassign users as required.

Regards,

Craig

Carolyn Hawe
de Carolyn Hawe - Tuesday, 10 de July de 2018, 21:48

Hi Craig

I have definitely set them at the system level. The ability to add/remove audience members doesn't seem to show in this Staff Manager role summary but it is definitely set in the role.

The Manager does not have any access to remove their staff member when they open the course.

Thanks

Carolyn

Craig Eves
de Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 12 de July de 2018, 21:03
Grupo Totara

Hi Carolyn

The staff manager shouldn't need to access the course to assign users to the certification- they should access the Certification and assign users through the Certification report or equivalent rather than the course. 

The add remove audience members permission is at a course category level so think this is why it isn't showing in your screenshot. I am doing this in latest totara 11

Regards