Totara Learn Open Discussions

Controlling event sign up

Larry Mitipelo
Controlling event sign up
by Larry Mitipelo - Sunday, 26 August 2018, 4:58 PM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023

Hi all,

I'm adding a new event for a course owner who only wants learners to sign up to the event after they have spoken with them to determine their eligibility.

The page will advise that learners speak with the course owner before trying to sign up but people being people they will no doubt try to sign up to the event anyway.

As this is quite a popular course it could results in a large number of unnecessary approval & rejection emails.

I can't find a way to stop learners from being able to sign up to an event.

Currently I have two pages set up, one with the course information and the other with the event information that is only visible to learners after they are enrolled by the course owner. This is not ideal as I'd like this all on one page where learners can see the course info and see the events but not be able to sign up until approved.

Not sure if this possible. Any suggestions?

FYI - We're on Totara V10.11

thanks,
Larry

Craig Eves
Re: Controlling event sign up
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 26 August 2018, 6:08 PM
Group Totara

Hi Larry

One possibility is to use the declare interest setting for the seminar 

Users don't signup for a session they declare interest and include a  reason for declaring interest. The user can withdraw interest at any time before the event and the Trainer can view the declared interest report to approve/reject the users seminar. This should cut down some of the number of approval/cancellation emails (or you can disable the seminar notifications you don't want to happen.

Regards

Larry Mitipelo
by Larry Mitipelo - Sunday, 26 August 2018, 9:06 PM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023

thanks for that Craig.

We did consider that but it won't stop learners from signing up.

It's not that we don't notifications sent but we don't want them sent when they aren't required. i.e. when a learner signed up before checking if they are eligible.

Jennifer Butts
by Jennifer Butts - Monday, 27 August 2018, 7:00 AM
Group Partners

Another option is to make it a Program with an audience for all. Everyone can see it but it does not allow a self enroll. It must be assigned. Unless you already allow learners to create their own Learning Plan than they can actually figure out a way to apply to the plan but that in my experience is less likely.

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 27 August 2018, 5:31 PM
Group Totara

Hi Larry

You are right the Sign-up does still appear even if the declare interest option is chosen.

The Sign-up option does disappear if the event is full or in the past - if you change the max capacity to 1 and add a user (trainer) so it is full then users wont be able to signup and only declare interest.

Regards

Larry Mitipelo
by Larry Mitipelo - Sunday, 2 September 2018, 4:57 PM

thanks for those suggestions. It's given me a place to start.