Totara Learn Open Discussions

Users replying to the no reply emails

Neil Hellewell
Users replying to the no reply emails
by Neil Hellewell - Monday, 3 September 2018, 7:27 PM

(circulating this - in case anyone has any further advice) by Hayley Wesley - Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 2:05 AM Hi I was just wondering if anyone else has an issue with users replying directly to the email copy of system messages and how they try to manage it? Even though the email says please log in to reply, and we have written on our site and in the user guide, people still seem to do it and trainers are not getting their messages. Even when the From Address was set to no-reply@blah.com it didn't make a difference. Anyone have any tips? Thanks
Ian Wallbridge
Re: Users replying to the no reply emails
by Ian Wallbridge - Friday, 7 September 2018, 5:29 AM

Hi Neil,

I suspect that this is a common frustration for all Totara admins! but to answer your question, we set up a corporate (Outlook) email address and we now send all site traffic through this using SMTP. That gave us the ability to create an autoreply, advising the user that "this mailbox is not monitored, please forward your enquiry to..." or words to that effect. Like yourself, we've also added appropriate text into seminar confirmations.

Although I'm not convinced we'll ever reach zero replies, we have seen the volume drop over time, and as a side effect we now also have full visibility of all outgoing messages.

Hope this helps, and you're definitely not alone!

Thanks,

Ian