Totara Learn Open Discussions

How to change "grade type"?

? ?
How to change "grade type"?
door ? ? - Thursday, 6 September 2018, 01:49 AM

(Cross-posted because no response on LearningPool forum) Where I've uploaded SCORM packages from Adapt Builder that have no quiz, I've been setting 'Grade' to 'Learning objects', as advised in the LearningPool video tutorial, and 'Require status' to 'completed'. However, my grader report is full of these exercises that have all been scored at '1.00'. I've hidden them but they're still there but dimmed out, and are contributing to overall course score.

If I go to 'gradebook setup', and 'edit settings' for one of these quiz-less SCORM exercises, I see a 'grade type' that is set to 'Value'. The information popup tells me that there are four different 'grade types' and, surely, if it doesn't need grading, the type in this case should be 'none'. But where do I set this? I don't see it when uploading the SCORM package.

Thanks

Craig Eves
Re: How to change "grade type"?
door Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 6 September 2018, 20:30 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Neil

The settings for grading methods depend on what values the SCORM is passing to Totara. 

To see what values are being passed to Totara you need to go into the SCORM from the graded report  and select one of the attempts and track details. This will show the values being passed to Totara.

In this case the SCORM is not passing a score to the gradebook  only the lesson status is passed and the activity completion can be set to status of Completed . The grading method for this can be set to a grading method other than Learning Objects as no grades are passed to Totara.

The grading method - Learning Objects in the gradebook is the percentage of Scorms that have been passed (a number between 0 and 1) - you might not need this if completion is by lesson status.

There is an explanation of the various settings for SCORM below.

Some SCORM packages report both cmi.core.lesson_status and cmi.core.score.raw. Others report only cmi.core.lesson_status, or only cmi.core.score.raw. The Grading Method setting for SCORM objects is meant to account for that.

If you have the Grading Method set to Highest gradeAverage grade, or Sum grade, and your learning object does not report a score, only, cmi.core.lesson_status, then there will be no numerical score to pass to the gradebook.

If your SCOs do not report cmi.core.score.raw, then the best Grading Method setting is Learning Objects. This reports either a 1 or a 0 as a score for each learning object. The gradebook value for that SCORM activity is the percent of scos in the package for which learners got a 1.

On the other hand, if your SCOs do not report a lesson_status, then select one of the score-based Grading Method options, such as Highest gradeAverage grade, or Sum grade, and not Learning Objects.

If you do not know what your SCOs are reporting to the LMS, then run them through to completion with debugging on.

Much of the way SCORM objects are graded is controlled inside the SCORM Authoring process before it is packaged for use in an LMS like Moodle - make sure all your grading settings are set correctly.

Regards

? ?
door ? ? - Friday, 7 September 2018, 02:00 AM

Hi, Craig. Many thanks for that. Here's what I have: 

I think the key part in your explanation is "If your SCOs do not report cmi.core.score.raw, then the best Grading Method setting is Learning Objects. This reports either a 1 or a 0 as a score for each learning object." The thing is, though, I don't want it to report a score to the gradebook. These are information-only activities but they're cluttering up the gradebook and contributing to the overall course average. All I want is the complete/incomplete with no score.

Craig Eves
door Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 9 September 2018, 15:27 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Neil

Thanks for the screenshot - it looks like the score is not being reported by the SCORM so you can use a grading method other than Learning Object so the 1 or 0 score is not passed to the gradebook. 

The activity completion can be based on the status of 'Completed'

The gradebook has a number of ways to calculate grades including 

• weighting activity to 0
  • creating a Grade category and including grading type of None or changing the weight or category total to 0

Regards

? ?
door ? ? - Monday, 10 September 2018, 01:43 AM

Many thanks, Craig, that's sorted it. My gradebook now contains only the activities I want to be scored. It makes good sense once it's explained.