Totara Learn Open Discussions

Why do all roles get a completion record?

Rob Davenport
Why do all roles get a completion record?
de Rob Davenport - Monday, 19 de November de 2018, 17:07

Hi, Using Totara 10

It seems that any role applied to a course automatically creates a completion record - when it should really only be the Learner role that gets this.

This of course includes Trainers and Editing Trainers - as well as custom roles (we have a Read Only role for example). The problem is, when we are counting up completions (Using Course Completion by Organisation), all the non-participatory roles are polluting the data - we can never get 100% completion because of the role that aren't ever expected to complete the course.

So the basic question: Is there a capability or setting that prevent a Completion Record from being created for certain roles?

If the answer is no - how do I request this for future development (seems to be a basic logical problem currently).

I would have thought that it should look at either of these capabilities to NOT create a completion record:

• Be shown on completion reports (not set)
  • View courses without participation (allow)

Thanks, Rob.

Craig Eves
Re: Why do all roles get a completion record?
de Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 19 de November de 2018, 18:06
Grupo Totara

Hi Rob

There is a discussion and  feature request for this - I will try and get some feedback on the progress - it looks like the latest idea is to add a column to report for role.

Rob Davenport
Re: Why do all roles get a completion record?
de Rob Davenport - Monday, 19 de November de 2018, 19:30

Thanks Craig,

I've added my perspective on the feature request (I'd argue it's a bug fix actually)...

One way around this has been to apply the role to the category, however of course this provides a broader level of access than strictly required, so it's a bit of a blunt instrument - unless a category is created for a single course to apply this to, which starting to get really messy.

Thanks again, Rob.