Totara Learn Open Discussions

Totara 12.0 Course Catalog

Peter Pappas
Totara 12.0 Course Catalog
door Peter Pappas - Wednesday, 5 December 2018, 02:26 AM

Hi Totara Team,

Is there a way to sort the Course catalog when the Grid Format is used? I am unable to find this when I configure the catalog.

Thank you,

Peter

Meredith Henson
Re: Totara 12.0 Course Catalog
door Meredith Henson - Wednesday, 5 December 2018, 08:39 AM
Groep Totara

Hi Peter,

The Grid Catalogue can be sorted by the viewer by Featured learning (when enabled), alphabetically, by the latest item added or by relevance after a search term as been entered.

Given you mention configuring the catalogue, were you instead looking for a way to set the default sort criteria for all learners when viewing the catalogue?

Regards,
Meredith

Sorting in the Grid Catalogue

Alex Carrick
door Alex Carrick - Tuesday, 11 December 2018, 11:28 AM
Groep Partners

Don't want to start a new thread - but can we get the recommended dimensions for course images for the catalog in both tile and list view?  This would probably be handy in the Totara documentation as well as the tooltip within course settings. 

The current tooltip doesn't say much:

? ?
door ? ? - Tuesday, 11 December 2018, 15:09 PM

Hi Alex,

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll get both the documentation and the tooltip updated.

Regards,

Andre.

Nathan Lewis
door Nathan Lewis - Wednesday, 5 December 2018, 13:30 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Peter.

There was a late change during development which resulted in the sorting drop-down being removed from sites which have more than one language installed. Instead, different sorting criteria is applied depending on whether featured learning is enabled and whether the user is using the 'text search'. The conditions are (highest precedence first):

• If the 'text search' is active then sorting is by relevance.
  • If Featured learning is configured then Featured items will be sorted first, and the 'secondary' sorting is by 'Latest' first (the latest featured item will appear first in the results, and the latest non-featured item will appear just after all the featured items).
  • Otherwise, sorting is by 'Latest' first.

We'll get the documentation updated with this information.

Nathan

Peter Pappas
door Peter Pappas - Monday, 10 December 2018, 07:54 AM

Hi Nathan,

Removing all languages (including En_us) and leaving only En caused the sort button to appear.

Searching however seems a bit buggy and does not seem to like alphanumeric or partial terms/words. I think that we will stick with the enhanced catalogue versus the new catalog until we can get it figured out.

Thank you,

Peter

Dit forumbericht is verwijderd
Monday, 10 December 2018, 18:16 PM
De inhoud van dit forumbericht is verwijderd en is niet langer toegankelijk.
Peter Pappas
door Peter Pappas - Thursday, 13 December 2018, 07:17 AM

Hi Dasha,

One main issue would be the multiple language support since we have almost 1500 active users from various countries.

I did figure out how to get the courses to sort with International English only but, then I began having issues with searching. 

Specifically searching alpha numeric terms such as UH-60 or -10 etc.

I do not know if there is a bug with this or not since the feature has not been completed enough for our use at this time. I unfortunately did not have a lot of time to spend figuring out what I needed to do which I am sure I will when I have time. I absolutely love the Totara product and am looking forward to the Grid Catalog when I can get it working for us after multi language support is added.We have over 1000 courses in our course catalog and almost 1000 certifications. The Grid Catalog in my opinion makes the system appear much more modern.

Thank you for the response.

Peter

Sunday, 16 December 2018, 14:47 PM
Peter Pappas
door Peter Pappas - Sunday, 16 December 2018, 21:25 PM

Hi Dasha,

I have some courses that have in their Title Alpha Numeric designations. Because they are in the course or certification titles they should be searchable but they are not. The screen result is something like could not find a result or something like that.

Specifically using the term "UH-60" or "-10" should return a result with all the courses that have UH-60 in the title or similarly if -10 is used.

This does not occur on our LMS the results are empty. The older Enhanced course catalog works fine for us so I do not need a work arround at this time unless the Enhanced catalog is removed in a later update.

Peter

Monday, 17 December 2018, 14:31 PM
Peter Pappas
door Peter Pappas - Tuesday, 18 December 2018, 06:42 AM

Hi Dasha,

When Searching for alphanumeric UH-60 I get the following:

But if I use strictly Alpha I get:

Incidentally I also receive no results using strictly a numeric such as 60.

I have a large number of courses with nomenclature such as UH-60, CH-47, AH-64, Etc.

It seems to be something to do with less than 3 characters or numbers in a search term. For instance I can search for 2720 and return all courses with that but just 27 returns nothing. same thing with A/C returns nothing but Air returns all courses with Air or Aircraft etc. 175 returns all courses with 175 PSI correctly etc.

Peter

Nathan Lewis
door Nathan Lewis - Tuesday, 18 December 2018, 13:19 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Peter.

As far as I can tell, the full text search is working as designed. I'm almost certain that the reason you're seeing different results from Dasha is that you're using a different database.

Full text search in Totara uses the full text search engine built into your database. Postgress, MySQL/MariaDB and MSSQL each use slightly different full text search systems, with different supported syntax (e.g. "AND", "OR", parentheses, quotes), 'stop words' (automatic exclusion of common words such as "and", "in", "from") and capabilities (e.g. search for numbers, punctuation, words shorter than three characters, sub-string search).

I'm not sure what the capabilities are for each of the databases. We've created a documentation ticket to figure some of it out and write it down. The documentation will refer to each specific database type, so you'll need to know what database your site uses before it will be of any use.

I have considered the possibility of implementing a custom search system. We would have full control over it (e.g. we would be able to choose what syntax to support, minimum search string length), it would be consistent between different database types, the performance probably wouldn't be as good (but this wouldn't matter to small sites) and we'd have to provide the ability for sites to choose which system they use. This is currently just an idea, so it's a long way from actually happening.

Nathan

Rickard Skiold
door Rickard Skiold - Saturday, 9 March 2019, 00:50 AM

Hi Nathan,

Just wanted to check if there's any news regarding documentation about database types and searches? In our case, specifically around potential support for partial searches in MariaDB.

//Rickard

Tuesday, 18 December 2018, 17:57 PM
Peter Pappas
door Peter Pappas - Tuesday, 18 December 2018, 21:45 PM

Hi Dasha,

I entered the database config changes, restarted MySQL, rebuilt the course table index but, it did not change the behavior. If I search for 175 I can find all courses that show 175 in the fullname or summary (E.G. 175 PSI)  but if I search for 272 I do not find any of the courses that contain 2720, 2721, 2722, etc.

10, 60, 47, etc similarly yield no results.

Peter

Peter Pappas
door Peter Pappas - Tuesday, 18 December 2018, 23:11 PM

Hi Dasha,

I ran "php /home/sandbox/public_html/totara/catalog/cli/populate_catalog_data.php --purge_catalog_first" after my last post and now the data is searchable using 60 or -10 etc.

Thank you,

Peter

Tuesday, 13 August 2019, 17:06 PM
Irma Boks-Eek
door Irma Boks-Eek - Wednesday, 12 May 2021, 00:19 AM
Groep 2022 Learner of the Year (Silver)Groep PartnersGroep TXP Site AdministratorGroep V18 Program Complete

Hi,

after seeing this forumpost we've tried the settings for the MySQL databases, but we get false positives in the search results.

Is there any news on the partial word search? Since the last post here was in 2019?

And searching with an * seems to work if you use one at the beginning or end of the word you're searching, but regular users will never know this. Is there a way we can add an info-icon on the find learning page?

Please let me know!

Regards,

Irma