Totara Social Open Discussions

Using Totara Social as an e-porfolio

Eleonora Durighello
Using Totara Social as an e-porfolio
by Eleonora Durighello - Tuesday, 6 August 2019, 12:13 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm new on Totara systems and I was looking for any information about using Totara social as an e-porfolio instead of Mahara. Do you have any link or documentation about that? Does Totara social has the same functionalities of Mahara?

I have found jut this link https://help.totaralearning.com/display/TLE/Portfolio but it says just that in Totara social you can use Mahara but I rather prefer to use just Totara social if possible. Do you know how can I find out the differences between this 2 products?

Thanks

Regards

Eleonora

Meredith Henson
Re: Using Totara Social as an e-porfolio
by Meredith Henson - Tuesday, 6 August 2019, 8:33 AM
Group Totara

Hi Eleonora,

Welcome to the Totara family, thank you for joining the Community!

Totara Social was originally based on Mahara but 'forked' a number of years back when Mahara was in version 1.6.  Since then we've added a number of new features and implemented a range of improvements  =- particularly around the user interface, integration with social networks, the addition of an Activity Stream and some improvements to the Groups, Forums and notifications functionality. 

While the navigation to create a new portfolio page is slightly different, Totara Social retains that same functionality originally offered in Mahara to create, manage and share your own eportfolio.

For more detail, I recommended looking through the Totara Social Help Documentation.  If you'd like more technical information, you can also check out the Social developer notes.

Hope this helps!

Meredith

Eleonora Durighello
Re: Using Totara Social as an e-porfolio
by Eleonora Durighello - Wednesday, 7 August 2019, 5:51 AM

Hi Meredith, thanks! I have read about the development of Totara Engagement that will replace Totara Social the next year so I think I will wait to see the new product!

Regards

Eleonora