Totara Learn Open Discussions

Apprenticeships

Stephen Catton
Apprenticeships
von Stephen Catton – Tuesday, 25 February 2020, 6:44 AM

Hello folks

We are a medium-sized company in the UK. We run courses for apprentices who want to work in the car repair industry.

We want to explore how to utilise our LMS better in supporting our learners. I am interested in talking with other companies and sharing ideas on how to use totara better with apprentices.

We are based in Thatcham near Newbury in the UK.

Cheers

Stephen

Sue Blake
Re: Apprenticeships
von Sue Blake – Tuesday, 25 February 2020, 8:05 AM
Gruppe Good learner 2023Gruppe Most Helpful Contributor 2022Gruppe Most helpful contributor 2023Gruppe TXP Site AdministratorGruppe V18 Program Complete

Hi Stephen, we also plan to look at Apprenticeship access to our LMS but nothing has been started yet.  We are based just outside Didcot in Oxfordshire so not too far from you.  

Sue

Stephen Catton
von Stephen Catton – Wednesday, 26 February 2020, 1:49 AM

Thank you Craig. 

I will give these a read.

Stephen Catton
von Stephen Catton – Wednesday, 26 February 2020, 1:49 AM

Hello Sue

Yes that is not far from us. It might be useful to get together and discuss ideas and experiences.

Stephen Catton
von Stephen Catton – Wednesday, 15 July 2020, 9:04 AM

Hello Sue

I hope you and those you care for are well.

Just thought i'd catch up and see how well you have progressed?

Kind regards

Stephen

Sue Blake
von Sue Blake – Wednesday, 15 July 2020, 11:21 PM
Gruppe Good learner 2023Gruppe Most Helpful Contributor 2022Gruppe Most helpful contributor 2023Gruppe TXP Site AdministratorGruppe V18 Program Complete

Hi Stephen, your message was timely as I am meeting with our Apprenticeship Co-ordinator on Friday for an initial meeting about this.

My email address is sue.blake@diamond.ac.uk if you drop me an email we can discuss this further and perhaps arrange a virtual meeting to share ideas.

Kind regards

Sue

Stephen Catton
von Stephen Catton – Wednesday, 2 September 2020, 3:16 AM

Hello Sue

It was really good to chat with you yesterday. Please do keep in touch.

Kind regards

Stephen

Sue Blake
von Sue Blake – Thursday, 3 September 2020, 5:18 AM

Very interesting and we will keep in touch to let you know how things develop.

Regards

Sue

Ian MacKinnon
von Ian MacKinnon – Tuesday, 25 February 2020, 10:32 AM

Hi Stephen,

We have a customer that's in the process of putting their apprenticeship programme through Totara. They're finding it valuable to use a Program to contain all the modules with program restrictions between some of the modules, then a combination of H5P and Assignments for the content and work submissions.

How are you currently running your courses?

Ian

(Hubken)

Stephen Catton
von Stephen Catton – Wednesday, 26 February 2020, 2:03 AM

Hello Ian

I am really interested to learn more about how you use Programs and manage the access to the modules.

At the moment we use the ecademy (Totara) to provide the learner with the resources for the formative learning and OneFile for the assessment and completion tracking.

I would like to find a way of moving OneFile tasks over to the ecademy. 

We use the flipped learning style where they do some theory work on the ecademy before coming to the workshop for the hands-on learning.

We use a combination of Storyline SCORM, Quizzes and the occasional glossary used as an image gallery.

Each course holds all of the online learning and face to face supporting documents as used by the teacher and student.

Cheers

Stephen

Ian MacKinnon
von Ian MacKinnon – Thursday, 27 February 2020, 12:36 PM

Hi Stephen,

They have a similar set-up to yourself, offering elearning content to complete before attending any face-to-face elements but they also include all the assessments within Totara rather than needing to use another platform like OneFile.

This is done through the use of Assignment mostly. We find for most clients offering accredited courses and qualifications, the Assignment tool in Totara can handle most of the requirements (including the internal and external verification of the work). Tutors are assigned to Groups and receive notifications of submissions before marking and providing feedback to learners.

Grouping all the modules into a Program means it's really easy for their staff to manage the apprenticeship alongside all their other training as it all sits on the one dashboard. Modules are grouped into stages (sets) and if one stage needs to be completed before the other, they're using the "then" operator in the Program. The other benefit here is they can schedule send reminders if learners are falling behind with assignments.

Hope that helps!

Ian

Stephen Catton
von Stephen Catton – Monday, 2 March 2020, 7:39 AM

Hi Ian

Yes that is very interesting. I had wondered if i would have to get to grips with competencies. But it looks like Programs might be a good way to go. So do you use a course as a one topic container and string them into a program?

Stephen Catton
von Stephen Catton – Wednesday, 15 July 2020, 9:02 AM

Hello Ian

I hope you and those you care for are well.

Would your client be happy to meet online and share experiences?

Kind regards

Stephen