Totara Learn Open Discussions

SCORM Alias completion

Stephen Catton
SCORM Alias completion
بواسطة Monday, 9 March 2020, 9:29 AM - Stephen Catton

Hello folks

We would like to be able to use a SCORM package in more than one course. I understand that this can be achieved by using the File System repository. 

My concern is with activity completion.

We set our activity to complete when viewed. We do not measure the number of slides viewed or the results of quizzes. Does using an alias from the file repository have limitations when using SCORM?

Has anyone implemented this?

Kind regards

Stephen

Craig Eves
Re: SCORM Alias completion
بواسطة Monday, 9 March 2020, 6:57 PM - Craig Eves (Totara Support)
مجموعة Totara

Hi Stephen

I assume you are using an alias as the SCORM is used in several Totara courses.

The location of the file shouldn't affect the recording of whether the file has been viewed by a user.

Have you had some issues with this not completing?

Regards

Stephen Catton
بواسطة Tuesday, 10 March 2020, 7:10 AM - Stephen Catton

Hi Craig

You assume correctly.

No, we don't but we are moving to another Totara supplier who seems to be reluctant to provide us with the functionality and us saying that there 'could' be a completion problem.

As in my earlier post the SCORM object internally completes when the slides have been viewed and the activity completion happens when the activity is viewed.

Thanks

Stephen

Craig Eves
بواسطة Tuesday, 10 March 2020, 2:49 PM - Craig Eves (Totara Support)
مجموعة Totara

Hi Stephen

Thanks for clarifiying - in theory if the activity is based on viewing the SCORM activity rather than the SCORM being completed then this will be recorded as completed in Totara.

I did some research and there does seem to be some issues with SCORM completions -  e.g. Articulate includes a mastery score which means the completion is not reported to the LMS.

Totara has a setting in the SCORM Mastery score overrides status that can be set to 'No' to ensure the completion is updated in Totara.

The completion issues are more to do with the SCORM standard rather than using aliases.

I think the best way forward is to test this out and see the values that are being passed to Totara and see if changing the SCORM setting as above helps.

Regards

Stephen Catton
بواسطة Wednesday, 11 March 2020, 5:51 AM - Stephen Catton

Hello Craig

That is some good advice. I will try to set up a test.

Interestingly Storyline allows you to set how many slides/pages (never know what to call them) the user has to view for it to be considered complete.

Thanks again

Cheers

Stephen

Libby Doran
بواسطة Monday, 16 September 2024, 11:24 PM - Libby Doran

Hello all, four years later, I have a similar question. If a user completes a SCORM that has aliases in other courses, will those other courses recognize the completion (hopefully yes!)? So far we tested this once, and it did not.

Stephen Catton
بواسطة Wednesday, 18 September 2024, 1:43 AM - Stephen Catton

Hello Libby

In our system each SCORM alias is treated as a separate SCORM Activity and completes independently. We do not have the 'Original' SCORM in a normal course.

We use a Folder Resource in a course which is only used as a SCORM and File repository.

I hope that helps although it doesn't do what you seem to want.

Cheers

Stephen