Totara Social Open Discussions

How to let learners hide/unhide sections

Sumant Murugesh
How to let learners hide/unhide sections
by Sumant Murugesh - Tuesday, 20 October 2020, 11:59 AM

Hello

I am wondering if it is possible to allow learners to hide/unhide sections on a course page please.

We have a situation where the course page is made up of a large number of collapsible learning sections. Rather than presenting all learning sections to every learner, I would like the learner to be able to choose the learning based on their workplace. 

What I hope to do is as follows:

1. Hide all sections on the course page
  2. Learner logs in and the course page has a question that asks the learner to choose their work area
  3. Learner chooses the work area and the relevant learning sections will then unhide and present to the learner

When I tried the above using simple hyperlinks to section anchors, Totara says to the learner the following as in screenshot attached.

Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (View hidden sections)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Sumant

Craig Eves
Re: How to let learners hide/unhide sections
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 20 October 2020, 8:26 PM
Group Totara

Hi Sumant

It is possible to restrict access to a course section based on a variety of criteria.

For example you could create a quiz with multi choice questions that is graded and then restrict access to a course section based on the grade achieved.

Regards

Sumant Murugesh
Re: How to let learners hide/unhide sections
by Sumant Murugesh - Wednesday, 21 October 2020, 1:13 PM

Hi Craig

Thank you for your reply. I did know about restricting access based on different criteria/activity completion.

What I am looking for is a very simple question that appears on the course page itself (not in a new activity page). The learner will answer a 2 choice question which can unlock the hidden sections. Is that possible?

I created a label with manual activity completion which the learner ticks and unhides the relevant sections. This works.

But when I tried to create hyperlinks to sections that trainees could click on to unhide them it doesn't work.

Any thoughts how a simple question can be displayed on the course page itself?

Thank you!

Sumant