Totara Learn Open Discussions

Ways to manage optional courses

Barry Sampson
Ways to manage optional courses
بواسطة Friday, 26 February 2021, 9:14 AM - Barry Sampson

Hi,

I'm working with someone who has many courses, organised into Sets, and we are trying to work out the best way to manage optional courses. We understand how to make courses optional or mandatory within a Set, but the problem is how it is displayed - and how the learners behave!

For example imagine that we have a Set with 10 courses in it. Then we have 20 learners who all have to do some of those 10 courses, but exactly which courses will depend on their role and location. Because there are so many possible variations, we can't set them all to be mandatory. When the learner sees the description that says someething like "Any one course in this set must be completed" they just complete one course even if they've been told to do more.  

If the numbers in my example were real, we could probably create enough Sets to cover all of the variations. In reality there are 250 courses and around 10,000 learners - so that is completely unmanageable.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for grouping optional courses without making it obvious that they're optional? Are Sets the best way to approach this or should we be looking at something else?

Many thanks

Barry

Alistair Marshall
Re: Ways to manage optional courses
بواسطة Saturday, 27 February 2021, 1:39 AM - Alistair Marshall

Hi Barry how are you? If you have some sort of matrix for the mandatory courses, can you set up an audience (250 audiences)for each role and auto enrol the users on the mandatory ones, then when they go into the programs the mandatory ones will show as enrolled. Why do they need to be in a program? Are there time limits for completing? Could you just enrol them using this method anyway.? We had a bit of custom work to do something like this so we could report on which courses had been enrolled by this method so we could track mandatory courses. Cheers All
Barry Sampson
بواسطة Friday, 5 March 2021, 4:23 AM - Barry Sampson

Hi Al,

Thanks for the reply - sorry for not responding sooner but I don't seem to be getting notifications.

This is the project that I emailed you about - have they been in touch yet?

It's 250 courses - but thousands of users all of whom may need to do different things. The whole challenge with this project is that there are a few courses that are mandatory for everyone, and they are easily handled. For the rest, it is a unique combination based on that individual's responsibilities. Job titles are not consistent across locations and even where job titles do match the responsibilities differ.

There are three scenarios:

1. Roll out (now) - line managers are completing a form to say who in their team ned to do what. The form generates a spreadsheet and then we'll import that to enrol them.
2. Post roll out - manager's will still need to decide who does which modules, but they will likely direct them to groups of courses. These groups will be in sets which is where the optional problem comes in as there is no universal requirement.
3. Self serve - some people will simply access additional modules through the catalogue as responsibilities change.

I would like to mention that I got involved after the content had been designed and developed, and I don't know why the designers weren't responsible for working this out at the start.

Thanks

Barry

Craig Eves
بواسطة Sunday, 7 March 2021, 5:13 PM - Craig Eves (Totara Support)
مجموعة Totara

Hi Barry

Have you looked at the Learning plan enrolment method . This allows managers to select courses  on their staff's learning plans and allows their staff to self enrol on these courses.

The learning plans can also include programs so the courses could be arranged in course sets to make it easier for the someone to see a group of courses and also control the order that courses should be  completed.

Have a look and see if this might be suitable for your organisation

Regards