Totara Social Open Discussions

Time in course

Andrei Bohoru
Time in course
by Andrei Bohoru - Tuesday, 27 April 2021, 10:44 AM
Group Partners

Hi everyone

I'm back here with a new issue related to the time spent in course condition. It's a simple course with only one activity, a simple short scorm with slides. It takes about 3 minutes to finish it, but there is a request that time spent in this module to be 15 minutes, so I have set two parameters for this in the course completion settings: course to be visualized and minimum time spent in the course to be 15 min. The problem is that even the time condition is not fulfilled and the time in course box is showing me the time less than required (it was around 5 minutes that time) but is telling me that the course conditions are accomplished and the course it's finalized!!! What am I doing wrong? Platform in Totara 12.

Thanks

Craig Eves
Re: Time in course
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Wednesday, 28 April 2021, 7:40 PM
Group Totara

Hi Andrei

I can't see a course completion condition that has a minimum time included 

The course conditions I have are Date and Days left based on enrolment date .

Are you using a third party plugin to calculate the time spent in a course and show as a course completion condition. 

Regards

Andrei Bohoru
Re: Time in course
by Andrei Bohoru - Thursday, 29 April 2021, 5:24 AM
Group Partners

Hi Craig

I think I found the issue: It's the scorm itself. After reaching the end of the course it is not sending any  information regarding time spent in course to the platform. It is registering the time, no matter how many times I open and close it, as long as the course doesn't reach the end. After reaching the end, it's not registering any more. 

I replaced the scorm in the course 4 times without modifying any other conditions. 4 different scorms proved working in other courses (one being made just for this testing purpose with two empty slides). With every one of them the course is registering and updating the time spent in course, no matter how many times I close it and open it again or if I reach the end of it and I started again. However, when I replaced the original back, I start having the same issue again. Did you ever experience something like this? Does it make any sense my reasoning that the error is generated by the scorm and not related to course conditions? The scorm it's not ours so I can't do anything about it.

I also have another question: The learning program is made of 4 courses and a test. Is there any way of setting a condition that returns you to the beginning of the program to start it again in case the the learner fails the test 3 times?

It's OK to continue the discussion here or should I open a new thread for this?

Thanks,

Andrei