Totara Learn Open Discussions

Appearance settings affecting SCORM completion attempts

Sam Maher
Appearance settings affecting SCORM completion attempts
par Sam Maher, Thursday 8 July 2021, 08:23

Hi. We have a SCORM file that's raised a couple of questions and not sure why the appearance settings affect the outcome.

As standard our e-learning is set to open in New Window (Simple) i.e. open in a new tab. However we have seen cases of users failing the first attempt and Totara not recognising second attempts. I have logged in as users myself and completion has not registered on second or third attempts.

I changed the settings on the course temporarily to open the course in a New Window instead and logged in as the user to relaunch the eLearning. I completed the eLearning myself and it logged the completion properly.

Unsure as to why opening an eLearning course in a new tab/window would affect completion when I haven't changed the completion requirements in the SCORM settings. Any input would be appreciated. 

Craig Eves
Re: Appearance settings affecting SCORM completion attempts
par Craig Eves (Totara Support), Sunday 11 July 2021, 19:48
Groupe Totara

Hi Sam

The setting New window (simple) gives complete control to the SCORM package, and the SCORM menu is not displayed in Totara. When using New window the SCORM menu is displayed as some control is retained by Totara.

Is there an extra menu item that isn't selected such as Start new attempt or to close the SCORM when new window (simple) is chosen?

There is some information on the settings for handling of multiple attempts  Are you able to check the value of cmi.core.lesson_status is completed', 'passed' or 'failed' - this can be done through the SCORM report and checking the attempt .

Regards