Best practice forum (Archived)

API or REST interface to learning

Raja Nandakumar
API or REST interface to learning
by Raja Nandakumar - Monday, 8 November 2021, 6:51 AM

Hi,

First of all - a new beginner to this forum. Hello everyone!

My office runs a lot of our learning through totara. From the web interface, I am able to download the csv file of my learning record. Can I also do this using either an api with some language (any - I am flexible) or a REST interface? If yes, can someone point me to the documentation on this please.

My apologies in advance if this has already been asked but I have so far not been able to find the answer to this.

Thanks and Kind Regards,

Raja.

Julian Tagell
Re: API or REST interface to learning
by Julian Tagell - Monday, 21 November 2022, 6:19 PM

Hi there, 

I'm very new to Totora learn... but investigating this ability is something I've been tasked with. So I'd be keen to learn if it was possible.

Can any administrators chime in on this, please?

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 21 November 2022, 7:06 PM
Group Totara

Hi Raja

Web services with various protocols including REST are supported but will be replaced with Graph QL API 

Totara 17 has also added External API to connect external systems to Totara 

Are you developing this for a Totara partner - if so then we can answer specific questions through the support desk.

regards

Raja Nandakumar
by Raja Nandakumar - Wednesday, 23 November 2022, 4:29 AM

Hello Craig,

I had asked the question a little over a year ago!

In the meanwhile it turned out that my problem had a simpler solution than needing a connection with the REST api.

Kind Regards,
Raja.

Julian Tagell
by Julian Tagell - Wednesday, 23 November 2022, 1:52 PM

Thanks Craig and Raja,

Yeah, looking forward to working this out. Seems promising. 

Craig -I will work through the usual channels of direct support with the partner, after I've had a chat with them.

Raja -I'm curious now what you "simpler solution" was.

Raja Nandakumar
by Raja Nandakumar - Sunday, 27 November 2022, 10:12 AM

Hello Julian,

Our need is to have a quick set of pages that staff can view, with a few additional features that are not available in Totara. The REST api was deemed too difficult for this.

The solution here is to download the totara report every once in a while in a GDPR compliant manner and create static internal web pages behind our standard authentication with the additional features put in.

Kind Regards,

Raja.