Suggest Totara Perform features

Refreshable/Repeatable Competencies

Naif Jumaily
Refreshable/Repeatable Competencies
by Naif Jumaily - Thursday, 11 November 2021, 5:53 AM

I work in a UK Hospital and we have several thousand competencies. We want to use competencies to manage our medical device training as this is usually assessed at the ward level and doesn't have a course to complete so it's usually the manager that assesses their competence with the device. 

With these skills there is a requirement by certain governing bodies to refresh their skills and we as a Trust want to also re-assess their competence on high risk devices hence the need for a refresher element. 

Thanks,

Naif

Phil Williscroft
Re: Refreshable/Repeatable Competencies
by Phil Williscroft - Monday, 24 January 2022, 3:33 PM

Hi Naif.

Do you have Learn and Perform on your site?

If you have Perform.

You can set up the competencies in their frameworks.

Then you can assign the competencies associated with a job/role using audiences or positions (competency assignment is part of Perform).  This means that as people move role (thus assignment group) then the competencies associated with that new role are assigned accordingly.

The competencies can be manually rated.  If you want this rating process to occur periodically you can create a repeating performance activity that is a rating event using the review question type.  This allows a user's (the subject's) competencies to be presented to a rater (manager in this case) to be rated.

To add to this in v14 you can also define different proficiency values on the competency's rating scale for different assignment groups.  e.g Student Nurse is proficient at L1, whereas Senior Nurse is proficient at L5.  This allows you to express the required development of skill in a single competency

Does this make sense?  Happy to reach out to get a demo for you. 

Naif Jumaily
by Naif Jumaily - Wednesday, 26 January 2022, 9:06 AM

Hi Phil,

We haven't yet moved to Learn and Perform, looking to move to Learn this year but this question and potential solution may justify adding on Perform. 

I'd be keen to look at how the following would work "The competencies can be manually rated.  If you want this rating process to occur periodically you can create a repeating performance activity that is a rating event using the review question type.  This allows a user's (the subject's) competencies to be presented to a rater (manager in this case) to be rated.". 

As an example we would have a nurse in ED that needs to have competence with an Adult Infusion pump, but this would have to be assessed annually, it also may be that they have to complete an e-learning and get manager sign off or one of those paths. I know certifications would sort of meet this requirement but as we have nearly 10,000 medical devices and a staff member may need to be competent with a 100 then certifications aren't feasible due to the sheer number.  

A demo would be great to see.

Thanks,

Naif

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Wednesday, 26 January 2022, 12:21 PM

Hi Naif.

Thanks for the reply.  I'll set something up and get back to you. 

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Wednesday, 26 January 2022, 9:28 PM

Hi Naif.

One comment.  You state

As an example we would have a nurse in ED that needs to have competence with an Adult Infusion pump, but this would have to be assessed annually, it also may be that they have to complete an e-learning and get manager sign off or one of those paths. I know certifications would sort of meet this requirement but as we have nearly 10,000 medical devices and a staff member may need to be competent with a 100 then certifications aren't feasible due to the sheer number.

I'm interested in the volume issue.  The advantage all this competency framework concept has is that once you have set it up you can re-use competence with e.g. an Adult Infusion pump can be re-used across any role where competence with that devise is required (using the method I've describe above). 
But, that still requires the initial set-up of a competency for each device.  So in the first instance the set-up volume remains the same.  Setting up a competency is a lot simpler than setting up a certification, but I thought I'd mention this regardless.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this.
I've also got the team thinking about that demo

Thanks