Suggest Totara Learn features

Competency improvements

Georgina Christodoulou
Competency improvements
by Georgina Christodoulou - Sunday, 20 November 2022, 7:59 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

This is specific for Learn but may also have applications in Perform.

Scenario:

A user has been assigned a parent competency along with the child competencies.

When viewing the competencies either in the Record of Learning or from within the Learning Plan the competencies are listed in a flat structure.

There is no clear indication that there is a parent <-> child relationship.

Ideally when a user views their competencies via their Record of Learning or Learning Plan the hierarchy should be clearly defined:

- Parent Competency

- Child Competency 1

- Child Competency 2

Thanks, Georgina

Phil Williscroft
Re: Competency improvements
by Phil Williscroft - Monday, 21 November 2022, 11:59 AM

Hi Georgina.

From Perform's perspective we're aware that the UI doesn't express the Competency frameworks.  As the frameworks typically express a knowledge domain, so provide excellent context for the user this isn't great and we need to address this.  I've an epic in the backlog to do so and we are looking at the flow of work in Perform as a priority.  Part of that flow of work is understanding "what needs to improve"  and this is an easy win (in my view) in that regard.

As to how that's expressed in learning Plans.  There's an issue with how LPs and perform are not connected that needs to be addressed for a TXP experience.  I think Learning Plans redeveloped as development plans offers the nexus between Learn and Perform, but thats just my view at the moment.

The RoL?  I'll leave that for the learn PM.

Cheers

Naina Manga-Virtue
by Naina Manga-Virtue - Monday, 21 November 2022, 3:37 PM
Group Totara

Hi Georgina, 

I'm the Learn PM. 
Thanks for getting in touch. You raise some interesting questions! 

I share the same idea as Phil around Learning Plans. I expect that Competencies will show you your level of capability and potentially suggest a Learning plan as a way for you to improve or increase your competency level. There is some work that needs to be done there. 

But I would expect that in both the Record of Learning and the Learning Plan should display the hierarchy of competencies. I think once we have a firm direction for Perform we can start to address some of these gaps and build integration points between Learn and Perform. 

Hopefully that answers your question. 

Thanks, 

Naina. 

Brendan Kilshaw
by Brendan Kilshaw - Thursday, 7 September 2023, 7:20 AM

Hi Phil and Naina,

We are using Totara 16 (Learn & Perform) and are making use of the competencies functionality in Perform. We would like to also use Learning Plans and pre-populate them with content and be able to assign them based on a users position, or as you say Naina, relate them to competencies. I was wondering if you could provide an update on this and if there was anything planned for release soon?

Kind regards

Brendan