Totara Learn Open Discussions

Calculate total duration over seminar sessions

Craig Eves
Re: Calculate total duration over seminar sessions
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 11 July 2023, 7:01 PM
Group Totara

Hi Luc

I don't think you can sum seminar duration out of the box as seminar reports. do not contain the duration as one of the fields. 

Adding a custom field of numeric type so that it can be summed is also not possible there is a feature request for this TL-11232

This means to get this to work an export of the custom field string or start and end date would need to imported into a spreadsheet and formulas to sum and convert strings to numbers would need to be created.

regards

Luc Analbers
by Luc Analbers - Friday, 26 July 2024, 8:52 AM

This seems still not possible, not even in Totara 18.
That is a petty.
For manager reporting we would like to inform managers when people are booked for a seminar and how long that seminar will take. Example: A seminar can be 3 days in a row from 01:00 till 04:00 PM, meaning 3 hours per day, and three days in a row.. So the total course duration is 9 hours. But the manger wants to know if the employee is available for a project these days and if so, how long / what part of the day. So he/she can schedule that person for a project in the morning for instance or after 4 PM.
The total course duration of 9 hours is not beneficial for scheduling purpose.

Any new insights on this topic?

Lee Cooper
by Lee Cooper - Monday, 29 July 2024, 1:57 AM
Group TotaraGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Luc

I hope this isn't me making this too simple, but could you use the My Team Bookings report and the hours in there? Something like this?

Luc Analbers
by Luc Analbers - Tuesday, 30 July 2024, 12:48 AM

That looks great @Lee!
Although I don't have the My Team Bookings report available. Should that be a system report?
I will contact my LMS provider as well for this.

Lee Cooper
by Lee Cooper - Tuesday, 30 July 2024, 12:55 AM
Luc Analbers
by Luc Analbers - Tuesday, 30 July 2024, 2:25 AM

Great, thank you so much!! 👍

Luc Analbers
by Luc Analbers - Tuesday, 30 July 2024, 2:23 AM

Hi Lee,
And another question: Is the field used in your report a Custom Field, and therefore a fixed number for all seminars in that course, or is it calculated from Seminar Finish time minus the Seminar Start time?
If not calculated, then every seminar session has the same length as registered manually on the custom field in the course.
A calculation is preferred because that will always give you the exact duration. Maybe session 1 take 3 hours, and session 2 is 4 hours. Then a Custom Field will not work I think.

Lee Cooper
by Lee Cooper - Tuesday, 30 July 2024, 3:23 AM
Group TotaraGroup TXP Site Administrator

I wish it was calculated, but it is just a custom field. A couple more videos as I thought of something else when I finished the first!

https://www.loom.com/share/7e130bf1bc0b439ca5b174458ee4f9fe?sid=29742b4f-e0fb-42f5-b186-4258d88e9442

https://www.loom.com/share/7e7f816cba7340f6aadbd70bfd84a28b?sid=93797f42-4f66-4c09-bc7f-993b8e47a50f

Luc Analbers
by Luc Analbers - Tuesday, 30 July 2024, 3:36 AM

Thank you, Lee! 🙏
Much appreciated!!!!!