Totara Learn Open Discussions

Uploading to Course Custom Fields

Daniel Bond
Uploading to Course Custom Fields
di Daniel Bond - Tuesday, 30 April 2024, 03:14
Gruppo Most helpful contributor 2023

Doing some testing on the new Integer Course Custom Field type on v18. Previously, we've used a text field to hold the estimated duration for a course, but obviously would prefer it to be in a numerical field so we can aggregate values in reports, etc. Not wanting to manually update hundreds of courses, I've tried to use the "Course Upload" functionality, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be updating the values for the new field. I've defined a custom field with shortname estimated and am trying to use an upload file in the format:

shortname,customfield_estimated

Competencies for the Implementation of the updated Neonatal Hypoglycaemia Guideline,5

Is my syntax wrong, or should that file (when uploaded and with the appropriate settings) change the value of the "Estimated" field to 5 for the course called "Competencies for the Implementation of the updated Neonatal Hypoglycaemia Guideline"?

Have tried files both with and without speech marks around each field, seemingly to no avail. Have also tried updating a different custom field (the original text one) and also no changes. I note that in the Totara Help, there is no mention of the Custom Fields in the Course Upload, but the equivalent Moodle documentation (which it appears to be based on) does. Has the ability to upload to custom fields been removed as Totara has diverged from Moodle?

Craig Eves
Re: Uploading to Course Custom Fields
di Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 5 May 2024, 19:34
Gruppo Totara

Hi Dan

It is not possible to upload course custom fields in the course upload - there is a long standing feature request for this TL-5630 https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=21285

regards

Daniel Bond
di Daniel Bond - Tuesday, 7 May 2024, 00:36
Gruppo Most helpful contributor 2023

Thanks, appreciate the reply. It does seem a little odd, since the functionality exists in Moodle in 3.4 (https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Upload_users) which appears to be the version referenced in the System Information on Totara for v17 and v18.

The link in that thread to the Feature Forum no longer exists, should this be added to the Totara Ideas system?

Craig Eves
di Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 7 May 2024, 14:12
Gruppo Totara

Hi Dan

If you could add this to the idea system this will help with visibility of this request.

The link to the forum works for me but can see it is showing as archived so not visible to everyone.

Regards

Craig