Totara Learn Open Discussions

Tags within the learning catalogue

Alex Clarke
Tags within the learning catalogue
von Alex Clarke – Thursday, 27 June 2024, 8:19 AM

How do you create and assign tags within the find learning catalogue? I have seen this is something that was done or shown in exploration/training videos but I can't find anything on how to embed this into the system.

I am looking to add tags to confirm mandatory versus role specific required learning.

Craig Eves
Re: Tags within the learning catalogue
von Craig Eves (Totara Support) – Sunday, 30 June 2024, 4:08 PM
Gruppe Totara

Hi Alex

The find learning catalogue shows results from courses , program, certification, playlists , resources.

Tags can be added to each of these by going to the area and going to Edit settings and typing in the tag required if it exists if will be in the list or if not it will be added as a standard tag.

Then the catalogue can be configured to include tags in the filter

An alternative that doesn't involve tags and displays less items in the filter and prevents mistyping of tags would be to add a course custom field - menu of choice for mandatory or optional values and include the custom field as a filter on the catalogue.

Regards

Vicky Cooper
von Vicky Cooper – Monday, 16 September 2024, 8:06 PM

Hi,

Just want to jump on and ask something similar. I have noticed on the Totara Find Learning page that you can filter on courses, playlists and resources using the same tags. I can't seem to work out how that is done. Because in filter section in the configure catalogue you have Tags (Topics) - for resources and Tags (Default Collection) - for courses. Bringing up 2 sets of filterable tags. How do I combine the Tag section to filter on all Resources, Playlists and Courses?

Craig Eves
von Craig Eves (Totara Support) – Monday, 16 September 2024, 9:17 PM
Gruppe Totara

Hi Vicky

Engage used to use topics and Learn used tags but these have now been combined so Engage and learn use standard tags.

By default Standard tags are forced in Engage so only standard tags can be used with admins creating the standard tags to restrict users from creating random tags.

Using the standard tags should mean that they can be used across Engage and Learn however if you have an older version of Totara you may only have topics available.

regards

Vicky Cooper
von Vicky Cooper – Tuesday, 17 September 2024, 1:45 PM

Thanks for your reply, is this in the new version of Totara where they have standard tags?

Craig Eves
von Craig Eves (Totara Support) – Tuesday, 17 September 2024, 6:29 PM
Gruppe Totara

Hi Vicky

It looks like topic labels were stopped in TXP 17 and replaced with tags in TXP 18

regards