Best practice forum (Archived)

Navigation Block - shows all categories regardless of course visibility

Michelle Lamont
Navigation Block - shows all categories regardless of course visibility
by Michelle Lamont - Wednesday, 14 December 2016, 2:46 PM

Hi,

I noticed that all course categories and sub categories appear in the Navigation Block, regardless of course visibility. Shouldn't a learner only see the course categories that contain courses visible to them?  Am I missing a setting somewhere?

We will soon have external people accessing our environment and we would prefer they don't see all categories.  The only option I think we have at the moment is to hide the entire navigation block from them.  I've done this with other blocks by using roles/permissions.

Thanks

Michelle

me
Re: Navigation Block - shows all categories regardless of course visibility
by George Angus - Wednesday, 14 December 2016, 5:23 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

Do you have Audience-based visibility turned on?

'Warning: Enabling this setting will change the visibility of courses, programs and certifications across the whole site - the existing "Visibility" setting and the "viewhiddencourses" capability will no longer apply, so courses, programs and certifications that are currently hidden may become visible.'

If so have you tried turning it off and logging in as a user?

cheers,

George.

Michelle Lamont
by Michelle Lamont - Wednesday, 14 December 2016, 7:30 PM

Hi George,

Yes, we do have Audience-based visibility turned on. If I turn this off what impact will it have on our existing 750+ courses?

The course and the categories display as expected in the (standard, not enhanced) course catalogue - as in the user only sees 1 category and it's sub category and 1 course. But when you click on the category or the sub category to get to the course, the Navigation Block then shows all Categories and Sub Categories. They contain no courses, but they are all still listed.  If you expand the category by clicking on the little arrow and then expand the sub category to click on the course, then the navigation block remains unaffected.

Just in case .... we are on V2.9.9.

Thanks

Michelle

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 14 December 2016, 7:53 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

We have a Feature request in for functionality which could help you here. Unfortunately you can't hide the categories at present when you are using Audience visibility. We are looking to bring out this functionality in an evergreen release, but at present I couldn't give a date. 

regards,

George.