Totara Learn Open Discussions

Permission to add 'Other Evidence' for Learners

Michelle Lamont
Permission to add 'Other Evidence' for Learners
by Michelle Lamont - Thursday, 30 November 2017, 10:14 PM

Hi,

Is it possible to enable a group of users to add items to other learner's 'Other Evidence'?  Or, is it only possible for the learner, the learner's manager and site manager's to do this?

We're using Totara V 2.9.18

Cheers,

Michelle

Craig Eves
Re: Permission to add 'Other Evidence' for Learners
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 17 December 2017, 6:14 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle

Apologies for not responding sooner.

I tried changing permissions in 2,9 - using the editing trainer role.

The capabilities I added to the standard role was to allow Edit site-level evidence, view user profiles and view Record of learning 

When I went into a course and went to Grades and then chose a learner I was able to  click on the learners Record of Learning and add evidence.

Let me know how this goes.

regards

Michelle Lamont
by Michelle Lamont - Wednesday, 3 January 2018, 9:33 PM

Thanks for your reply and suggestions Craig. 

The only capability in the role that I didn't have selected was 'Edit site-level evidence'.  This is now set to Allow, as is 'View user profiles' and 'View a learners Record of Learning'.

I then tried what you suggested by going into grades in a course and clicking on a learner to open their profile.  However, I don't have the Record of Learning link, which normally sits under the 'Learning' heading, to be able to access Evidence to add Evidence.

The role that I'm using is a custom role, but the capabilities aren't too dissimilar to the Editing Trainer role, so I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Further, and if I'm able to get the above to work, what would be ideal is being able to access a learner's Record of Learning > Other Evidence via a link in a Report that has global restrictions applied.  The 'User Fullname (with links to learning)' is the perfect column to add to a report ('User' report source) for this, but unfortunately when I try and click on any of the below links, using the same role with the above permissions applied, I'm told :

• Profile link and the Learner's name - 'The details of this user are not available to you'
  • Records link - 'You do not have permission to view this page'

Any other ideas to try?

Thanks

Michelle

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 4 January 2018, 2:36 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle

I tried what I suggested with the role changes and this didn't work. 

To make this work the role needs to be made a system role and assigned to the user at system level and then the Record of Learning link showed.

I tried creating a user report with the links to learning and made content available to the role and was able to access the records (of all users which you may not want)

regards

Michelle Lamont
by Michelle Lamont - Sunday, 7 January 2018, 3:36 PM

Thanks Craig.

I've managed to get it to work, following your recent suggestion but as you mentioned, it enables access to view and edit all user's ROL and Other Evidence across the entire organisation, which isn't ideal.  I need to limit the visibility and editing rights by location.

I'll have a look through the suggestions and if it hasn't been raised already, I'll submit a suggestion.

Thanks again, Michelle

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 7 January 2018, 4:33 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle

If it is a report that you want to restrict to an organisation then under the Report Content tab you can restrict to staff at or below the current user's assigned organisation.

There is a feature request  https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=18247#p50233 that looks close to what you are wanting.

regards

Michelle Lamont
by Michelle Lamont - Sunday, 7 January 2018, 7:16 PM

Thanks Craig.

We do limit what is shown in our reports either by org, user or global reporting settings, so this part is fine.  If we were to apply the changes suggested, our required group of users (called RTDC Group) would then be to access the relevant learner's ROL and Other Evidence through the relevant report. However, the suggested changes also enable the RTDC Group to view any user's ROL and Other Evidence via Grades in a course.  For this reason, I'm not able to apply the role changes due to privacy of information.

Thanks for sending a link to a related feature request.  I'll have a look.

Cheers,

Michelle