Totara Social Release Notes

Totara Social 2.7 Released 6th May 2016

Yuliya Bozhko
Totara Social 2.7 Released 6th May 2016
by Yuliya Bozhko - Friday, 6 May 2016, 1:32 PM

Hi everyone!

Totara Social 2.7 release is out!

The highlight of this release is a file picker integrated in HTML editor. Now, every time you would like to add an image or a link to a file while creating content, you can browse through your local file repository and select files from it:

In this release, we also added an option to embed a link to a status update page that allows people post updates to Totara Social site from other locations. For instance, you can add one of the code examples (see screen shot below) to any page on your LMS site. This code generates a badge-like link to your Totara Social and enables your users to post status updates without leaving LMS site.

In addition to the new features, this release contains bug fixes and third-party library updates.

Here is the changelog for Totara Social 2.7:

Release 2.7 (6th May 2016)
==================================================

New features:
    TS-322    Added a file browser to the HTML editor. It is now possible to upload and/or select
              files directly in the "Insert/edit image" and "Insert/edit link" menu options
    TS-842    Added a simple Status Update page that can be exposed for quick posting from
              other web sites. Access to this page can be enabled in 'statusupdate' plugin
              configuration in Administration. The plugin configuration page also provides
              an example of embedded code which can be placed on external web page

Bug fixes:
    TS-874    Fixed a regression in forums path field, which prevented correct indentation
              in topic replies
    TS-871    Made sure database records are cleaned up when a forum or a group is deleted
    TS-824    Fixed an issue where navigation in the Custom theme was not responsive
    TS-858    Fixed JavaScript pagination issue on the "People" page
    TS-870    Fixed an error when mentioning people in Forum topics/replies
    TS-854    Fixed a height issue with profile images displayed in the mentions user list
    TS-851    Made sure user connections are displayed at the top of the mentions user list
    TS-843    Fixed a file selection issue in the file browser when more than one page of
              files is available
    TS-865    Fixed an error in notifications when a user reaches their file quota
    TS-852    Fixed an issue with mentions when a user's name contains parenthesis or other
              special characters
    TS-855    Fixed the mentions pattern being displayed in tooltips on various pages
    TS-847    Fixed an issue in status updates where displaying external URLs was broken
              due to browser autolinking
    TS-848    Fixed a JavaScript error on the "Search" page
    TS-845    Fixed a styling issue in the Idea block

Third party libraries updates and changes:
    Updated VideoJS HTML5 media player to version 5.9.2
    Updated TinyMCE editor library to version 4.3.10
    Updated jQuery File Upload plugin to version 9.12.2

Backported fixes from Mahara:
    Made sure plugins with bad auth config are ignored (Bug #1570640)
    Made sure usernames are treated as case insensitive (Bug #1567100)
    Made sure the correct user file quota is set (Bug #1503103)
    Removed session.referer_check (Bug #1566366)
    Added more thorough checking for passwords in stack traces (Bug #1567186)
? ?
Re: Totara Social 2.7 Released 6th May 2016
by ? ? - Monday, 9 May 2016, 9:25 PM

Hi Yuliya,

thanks for the release. These are really important features. Can I give a little feedback?

1. The file picker for forums is a great start- the ability to add files without first uploading to the 'site files' is great. However, the interface is still fairly non-intuitive and takes multiple 'clicks' to get to the 'upload files' part. The file picker option for 'Status Update' is much slicker.....any chance that it will move towards that?

2. We are having a look at the HTML 'Social' code and will give you some feedback. 

3. We are moving our site towards test release. One thing that we find is that the 'Groups' Homepage is very editable and gives lots of options for making a nice homepage. Unfortunately this functionality doesn't seem to be available for the overall Site Homepage as an admin. Is there any way that we can have the 'Group homepage' functionality available for the overall Site Homepage?

Thanks again and I look forward to the new release!

Regards

Stephen

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 9 May 2016, 9:36 PM

HI Yuliya, 

Actually in response to the above post, I am trying to use the 'Admin Setting'-> Static pages option. Can you point me towards some documentation on how editable that homepage is? 

I have also tried editing the 'site wide' home pages, one of which is the 'user homepage.....The tagline says 'this is the page that only you will see when you login'. I have tried editing that but it doesn't show when i log in. Is there more documentation on this? If I set up this page the way I want it to look, can I default that for all users? I hope you don't mind me posting these queries here, but your feedback is very helpful:)!

Regards

Stephen

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 10 May 2016, 3:47 PM
Group Totara

Hi Stephen

I have copied this to the Social discussion https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=11228#p49379 and responded.

regards 

Craig

Yuliya Bozhko
by Yuliya Bozhko - Wednesday, 11 May 2016, 10:41 AM

Hi Stephen,

I hope Craig answered your #3 question.

As for filepicker, uploading files in status updates creates attachments, while filepicker provides embedding files in the text as you write it. These are quite different actions. We haven't looked at adding attachments to forums yet.

Yuliya