Previous General Totara Learn discussions (read only)

Plugins for Totara

Hayley Wesley
Plugins for Totara
by Hayley Wesley - Tuesday, 21 November 2017, 6:41 AM

Hello

We are currently in the process of upgrading our site from 2.9 to 9 and was wondering what the future holds for plugins?

We have on our live 2.9 site a few plugins from the moodle plugin directory (I am aware that this in not officially recommended by Totara) and most of them have come across to 9 fine. However one particularly useful one has failed to install and I can only guess that it is no longer compatible which is frustrating as Totara don't offer this function as a standard option.

I am just wondering if others have been having this problem and how they are overcoming, and are there plans to have a Totara plugin directory any time soon. Or just generally how do Totara intend to allow people to add improvements or enhancements to their sites in the future?

Any information would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Hayley

me
Re: Plugins for Totara
by George Angus - Tuesday, 21 November 2017, 11:51 AM
Group Totara

Hi Hayley,

From here: https://help.totaralearning.com/display/TPD/Impact+of+Totara+forking+from+Moodle

'Moodle plugins

Moodle plugins have never been officially supported in Totara Learn, but due to the similarity between the two platforms in practice most Moodle plugins function in Totara Learn without any problems. Since we intend to continue to support the existing API in a backward compatible way, we do not anticipate that this will change in the short to medium term. In the longer term it is possible that Moodle will introduce functionality that we don't include in Totara Learn, and plugins will be written that rely on that functionality, which will make those plugins unsuitable for use in Totara Learn.

If this becomes a problem we may consider building our own independent plugin repository and invest resources in testing, validating and updating Moodle plugins to ensure they work consistently in Totara Learn too. This effort would focus on the most commonly used plugins by corporate users and could be a community driven effort with assistance from Totara Partners or even subscribers.'

Hope this is useful, if you have any more queries please let us know.

regards,

George.