Previous General Totara Learn discussions (read only)

User admin for audiences

James Landrigan
User admin for audiences
by James Landrigan - Monday, 27 November 2017, 7:55 PM

Hi All,

Is there anyway to limit an administrators access to only a certain audience of users.

Many thanks

James

me
Re: User admin for audiences
by George Angus - Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 2:43 PM
Group Totara
Hi James,

Can you be more specific about what it is you want the 'administrators' to do? Its possible to limit roles to Categories and to apply them by audiences, but a clearer idea of what you need would be useful.

cheers,

George.

James Landrigan
by James Landrigan - Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 2:56 PM

Thank for your reply,

Being clear about what I want isn't strong suit :) but basically I would like to give someone access to edit user profiles and manage course enrolments for a specific audience only.

Is that any help?

James

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 6:20 PM
Group Totara

Hi James,

The problem here is the role can't be applied directly to the audience members only.  

But the role can be applied to a course, and an audience an be enrolled into a course, thus the role can be applied indirectly to the audience.

You can use the Audience sync enrollment plugin to enroll a user into a course with the desired role,  you could add the courses you want the 'manager' to have rights in as enrolled learning.

The audience members which the 'manager' has editing rights over would have to be enrolled in a course with the 'manager' for this to work.

It would probably take a bit of thought to arrange a suitable single goto place for the 'manager' to be able to edit the learner profiles - like a "Registration course' or something similar. 

hope this makes sense!

cheers,

George.

James Landrigan
by James Landrigan - Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 7:21 PM

Thanks very much George, I'll give it a try.

James

This forum post has been removed
Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 4:29 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 6:19 PM
Group Totara

Hi Marius

My bad! Youre quite right. I can see why it wont work - namely the user profile is site-wide, if the role is restricted to the course only then it cannot  edit settings which are site-wide, such fields in a user's profile.

I can't see any way around this, other than somehow blocking the role's capabilities in users who are not in a particular audience. Its a site-wide capability.

I think the only way to achieve this would be a new feature.

cheers,

George.