Previous General Totara Learn discussions (read only)

System notifications version 10 - no-reply address

Gert-Jan Hufken
System notifications version 10 - no-reply address
par Gert-Jan Hufken, Monday 15 January 2018, 07:42

We currently see system and seminar notifications coming from  a no-reply mail-address having a name associated to it (site admin and event manager resp.).

In the Global Settings we see a description 'Always sen email from the no-reply address' should be set.  Can any tell where to set this option?

How can we avoid that names appear in notification mails next to the no-reply mail address?

Thanks for your suggestions!

GJ

Craig Eves
Re: System notifications version 10 - no-reply address
par Craig Eves (Totara Support), Monday 15 January 2018, 16:05
Groupe Totara

Hi Gert

In version 10 there is a new setting Allowed email domain that replaces the Always send from no reply address setting.

There is further explanation at https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/Mail_configuration#Outgoing_mail_configuration. I think this is saying that the no reply email address will be used when the email address doesn't appear on the allowed email domain. I checked on Totara for the allowed email domain  setting and this appear under Authentication > Manage authentication

Are you able to try this out to see this happens as documented?

regards

Gert-Jan Hufken
par Gert-Jan Hufken, Tuesday 16 January 2018, 09:41

Hi Craig,

I've checked the system settings.  They are all set on the no-reply address.  I was not able to find a shortname (as mentioned in the Moodle description).

I've found the field to change the enrollment notification reply-to under dashboard> Site Administration >PluginsEnrollments>Self enrollment (lowest pulldown).

It looks like the new account notification carries the address of the site admin, unless changed at Site administration>Server>Support Contact, the support email field.  We are going to check tomorrow.

Thanks!

GJ

Gert-Jan Hufken
par Gert-Jan Hufken, Thursday 25 January 2018, 00:48

Hi Craig,

We found some unexpected behaviour in the seminar event-notifications, running on 10.2.

We noticed that the 'reply to' address was filled with the name of an event-manager.  This manager was even suspended in Totara.

Since we don't want to allow large audiences to reply on notifications to one individual business mail address this caused an issue.

During tests we found that Totara picks the first eventmanager from the top of the list, sorted alphabetically on family name.

As a workaround we created an extra account 'Administrator', which shows on top of the list.

Kind regards,

Gert-Jan.