Totara Learn Open Discussions

New hires with the same start date

? ?
New hires with the same start date
بواسطة Tuesday, 12 June 2018, 10:47 AM - ? ?

Hello.  i have been asked by senior management to create a class for all new hires with the same start dates.  we currently on-board approx 2 x a month.  this would be an ongoing course for all new hires with the same start dates.   What i am trying to figure out is what is the best way to structure this?  with Audiences based on a rule of some kind?   or with groups?  i appreciate any input on Best Practices

Thank you

Christina

Craig Eves
Re: New hires with the same start date
بواسطة Tuesday, 12 June 2018, 4:54 PM - Craig Eves (Totara Support)
مجموعة Totara

Hi Christina

Creating Dynamic audience for each class  based on the start date of the user job assignment would automate this process.

A rule such as  

• The start date of any of the user's job assignments is before 30/06/2018, 00:20 
  • AND The start date of any of the user's job assignments is on and after 13/06/2018, 00:25

would select the records and the enrolled learning tab of the audience would enrol the user in the selected course.

You can choose to have a separate course for each class which could be difficult to administer or you can use the same course and use audience sync enrolment  to assign audience members  to a group (this is created when a user is enrolled in a course by an audience to assign the user to a group.

Go into the Course administration > Users >Enrolment methods

Select and Edit the Audience sync for the audience created above

This will create a group with the audience name and add members of the audience.

Then you choose the setting Separate groups for the course  activities so group members can only see their group members. It is possible to assign the trainers role to a group also so only the group trainer can see their group (you need to turn off permission Access all groups for trainer role for this to work)

Let me know if there are any issues with implementing this.

regards

? ?
بواسطة Monday, 23 July 2018, 7:53 AM - ? ?

Craig

this would be a program made up of 4 courses. how would that change things?

thank you.

me
بواسطة Tuesday, 24 July 2018, 7:22 PM - George Angus
مجموعة Totara
Hi Christina,

Would require a bit of work to set up groups in each course, Im not sure it would be worth it.

cheers,

George.

? ?
بواسطة Tuesday, 24 July 2018, 7:41 AM - ? ?

Craig

im trying to follow along here and understand what your saying.   My specifications just changed to capturing these users on a weekly basis.  My question is do i have to create an Audience for each week of the year?   I think thats where im confused.

thank you.

me
بواسطة Tuesday, 24 July 2018, 7:29 PM - George Angus
مجموعة Totara

Hi Christina,

You could use the rule based on the user's first login date, but that presupposes they're going to login whenever they start (or near that time).

You can set the rule 'before previous X days' or 'within previous X days'.

Also there's a job assignment relative date rule you could use.

Or you could use a course completion rule where the course stands for some kind of registration process.

let me know what you think,

cheers,

George.