Totara Learn Open Discussions

Collecting maintenance checks reports

? ?
Collecting maintenance checks reports
door ? ? - Thursday, 23 August 2018, 01:20 AM

Hi All,

We introduced Totara in our automotive manufacturing factory and we are trying to link how Totara is used for teaching our maintenance teams about weekly checks, PMs etc, to the actual audit report on each machine.

In this way a learner can look at the step-by-step training material to support the checks and record the check results,  submit a proof of the checks been completed. 

So far I’ve tried:

- Submission activity using fillable PDF forms: it works and it’s a possibility, however filling the forms on the iPad seems to be a bit tricky while on the shop floor

- Feedback activity: I like this and it’s very nice to fill in as I use the break page to have 1 check per page, and in the question I have the image of the actual check instructions. I used the weekly course activating the submission window only for that specific week, so that only the correct activity is shown. The only possible problem here is how to give the Supervisor the possibility to accept or refuse the feedback (basically state if the report had been filled correctly) for auditing purposes

- Appraisal forms: it looks like it could be a good option but I’ve only started exploring a day ago, so I don’t know too much about it yet

I remember finding a while ago here a Totara partner able to add customised forms into Totara and I would like to find out more about this. The reason being, it would help a lot to increase the use of Totara from our users if they could have a direct link between training and completing their job in an easier way.

Thanks 

Craig Eves
Re: Collecting maintenance checks reports
door Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 23 August 2018, 15:41 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Alessandro

My suggestion is to use the Assignment activity for this.

There are lots of options described in the link above - the option you should look at are :

• General - allow additional files so instructions and answer template can be used.
  • Submission types- include file submission  so the learner can send a copy of the answer template filled in 
  • Feedback type - comment inline or feedback file if a lot of feedback is required
  • Notifications - graders and students probably need notification of assignment submission actions
  • Grade - this depends on the level of detail required - a simple scale might be OK rather than numeric grade 
  • When a learner has completed the activity according to the activity completion criteria then the activity completion box will be ticked so you can quickly see if activity the activity has been completed.

Hopefully that fits most of your requirements if there are any gaps let us know.

Regards 

? ?
door ? ? - Thursday, 23 August 2018, 23:25 PM

Thanks Craig,

It sounds like a good option. 

The only thing that I liked more about the feedback activity was the possibility of having graphs created automatically based on the data, but I guess we can’t have everything.

I’ll play around a bit to see how easy it’ll be for our boys to work with it.

Thanks again

Rickard Skiold
door Rickard Skiold - Friday, 24 August 2018, 07:30 AM

Hi Alessandro,

Not sure if it would be fit for your purpose, but perhaps H5P's documentation tool could be worth a look: https://h5p.org/documentation-tool. Answers/data from learners can be found in Totara's gradebook. You will need to have H5P's Moodle plugin installed on your Totara site.