Totara Learn Open Discussions

Course Catalog - apply filters using URL parameters

Vijay Rudraraju
Course Catalog - apply filters using URL parameters
by Vijay Rudraraju - Thursday, 23 August 2018, 5:17 PM

Hi, 

We use the enhanced course catalog to display our courses (/totara/coursecatalog/courses.php). Once there users can search for courses or filter the results by Category, Delivery Method or Tags. 

I haven't found any information on how to display a filtered list of courses automatically for example when I want to only show them courses belonging to:

• a particular category (eg categorized under business unit Operations) via a URL like /totara/coursecatalog/courses.php?category=Operations
  • a particular tag (eg Compliance has a tag id of 85) via a URL like /totara/coursecatalog/courses.php?tagname=compliance or /totara/coursecatalog/courses.php?tagid=85

Any idea on how I can achieve this?

I don't want to take them to tag page (/tag/index.php?id=85), or category page (/course/index.php?categoryid=65) since they don't have any options to apply filters etc to see all courses if they want to.

Craig Eves
Re: Course Catalog - apply filters using URL parameters
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 23 August 2018, 6:33 PM
Group Totara

Hi Vijay

It is possible to apply a filter to the course report and the save the search and apply the search to the report .

The search will have a search id that is attached to the report URL e.g.  Totara site URL'/totara/reportbuilder/report.php?id=100&sid=5

This link can be added to a custom menu or the report can be added to a Report table block with the saved search.

Regards

Vijay Rudraraju
by Vijay Rudraraju - Thursday, 23 August 2018, 7:37 PM

That's great Craig. We are using saved searches for our reports. However, the course catalog is an embedded report and I received this message when I tried to view it like other reports "Embedded reports can only be accessed through their embedded url"

Is there any way to overcome this?

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 23 August 2018, 8:16 PM
Group Totara

Hi Vijay

If you select the Clone report icon for the embedded report this will make a copy of the report and make it a user report that can then be modified and the URL should then be accessible.

Regards