Totara Learn Open Discussions

Course reminders

Larry Mitipelo
Course reminders
by Larry Mitipelo - Sunday, 9 September 2018, 6:24 PM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023

Hi all,

I'm confused about course reminders.

I've got a course with a workshop and feedback activity

The course reminder has the workshop as the completion to track.

The requirement field is set to the feedback activity.

The reminder is set to 10 days

Does this mean 10 days after the workshop is completed only learners that haven't completed the feedback activity get the reminder?

If this is the case, is the only difference between using course reminders and the reengagement activity to get learners to complete feedback is the length of time you can set before learners are emailed?

thanks,
Larry

Craig Eves
Re: Course reminders
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 18 September 2018, 9:20 PM
Group Totara

Hi Larry

The reminder will be sent to all users who have completed the workshop within 10 days - even if they have completed the Feedback.

The Escalation notification is sent to users after a specified time who have not completed the Feedback activity

See the reminder documentation for more details - note that the site-wide reminder maximum days also needs to be more than the activity reminder days.

Regards

Larry Mitipelo
by Larry Mitipelo - Wednesday, 19 September 2018, 2:57 PM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023

Hi Craig,

The documentation reads:

Reminders and Escalations

It is also possible to set up an additional reminder to be sent when a user has failed to complete the Feedback activity within a defined time period (this additional reminder can be sent between 1-60 days after the initial invitation).

You can also send another reminder, called an Escalation message, where a learner is still yet to complete the Feedback activity

This reads like the reminder is only sent when a user has failed to complete the Feedback activity, not to all users regardless.

thanks,
Larry

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 20 September 2018, 7:48 PM
Group Totara

Hi Larry

I will get the documentation clarified and confirm the actual behaviour. 

To me the additional reminder being talked about is the Escalation message that is sent to the Learner and Learner's manager if they haven't completed their feedback but it may be talking about the original reminder.

Regards

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 20 September 2018, 8:07 PM
Group Totara

Hi Larry

I tried this out and you are right the reminder is only sent to learners who have not completed the Feedback activity. I will get the documentation changed to clarify this.

regards