Totara Learn Open Discussions

Topic based reporting in Totara

Carla Bradley
Topic based reporting in Totara
by Carla Bradley - Thursday, 4 October 2018, 7:14 AM

When we were researching Totara, we read/heard a lot about detailed reports you could run for quizzes/exams. We specifically need to be able to label questions by topic, and we thought we could use the tags option to do so. For instance, for all questions about "science" we would include the tag "science" and then, hopefully, we could run reports that say, what percentage of questions tagged "science" did users miss? And, hopefully, even dig a littler deaper to say, what percentage of quetions tagged "science" in the course named "Science 101" did people miss.

We've been googling, searching, and exploring within Totara and can't quite find good info about what tags do and if they can be used in this way.

me
Re: Topic based reporting in Totara
by George Angus - Thursday, 4 October 2018, 8:00 PM
Group Totara

Hi Carla,

This isn't possible at present, but it would definitely be an idea to add it to the Quiz structure analysis, or perhaps develop more fine-grained reporting on the quiz activity. Would it be possible for you to supply a business case for this functionality to help us better understand your needs?

cheers,

George.

Carla Bradley
by Carla Bradley - Wednesday, 10 October 2018, 6:45 AM

Hi George -- I'm happy to!

Our leadership regularly looks at what  topic areas are missed in online quizzes and exams. In one specific case, they require all 4,000 employees to take an exam that will give them information about where deficits in knowledge may be. So out of a 100 question exam, there may be 7 questions about "identity verification." Once all employees have taken the test, we need to know how many and what percentage of questions were missed about "identity verification."

We were told by our previous partner (we only had a partner for implementation) that the question banks could serve in this capacity. However 1) I actually can't find where I can report easily on the question banks, but 2) it wouldn't work anyway, because our questions have levels and must be presented in order. For instance, the first question about "identity verification" is a level one question, and the second is more of a level 2 question, so we can't put them all in a question bank and let Totara choose which to pull ... we need them in their specific order.

I hope I explained this well enough!

Carla

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 7 October 2018, 4:13 PM
Group Totara

Hi Carla

It is possible to add tags to quiz questions but the functionality of using the tags has not been developed.  It looks like Moodle 3.5 has implemented tags into the quiz question bank 

Totara evaluates recent bug fixes and improvements from Moodle for inclusion into Totara - we are currently up to Moodle 3.4 and will be working on 3.5 shortly.

regards