Totara Learn Open Discussions

Standard forums for general use

Kelvin Hylton
Standard forums for general use
by Kelvin Hylton - Thursday, 1 November 2018, 4:24 PM

This is the first time I have looked into the forum activity and just having a bit of trouble around a few things if someone may have an answer for me.

1.  when uploading an image to a post, is there a way to not have it displayed at full size? I understand you can turn on the multimedia filter to have it embedded in the post, even when turning it off it is still blown up full size, and can be a bit over the top in a forum. Is there a way to have it open in a pop up or scale it down?

2.  also when uploading a video, it is just a link and once clicked on it downloads to your computer. I thought having the multimedia plugin turned on, it would embed it into the post and be view able right there like the image. Could this also be a pop up in a new window and saves users from downloading every video they want to view on a forum.

3.  another thing I'm having trouble with is once you have opened a discussion topic and you are posting/viewing comments etc, there is no link to go back to the forum page, where all the discussion topics are viewed below. If there is something I can do to add a link or something??

Thanks heaps and I hope someone can help me out  :)

me
Re: Standard forums for general use
by George Angus - Thursday, 1 November 2018, 7:52 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kevin,

Which version of Totara are you using?

Inserting an image & video should be easy enough using the text editor icons, how exactly are you uploading the material?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by no. 3, can you post screenshots?

Have you ran these issues past your Totara Partner?

Any further info & screenshots you can provide would be useful!

cheers,

George.

Kelvin Hylton
by Kelvin Hylton - Sunday, 4 November 2018, 5:32 PM

Hi George,

Thanks for the reply. We are on Totara 9 verison.

In regards to my first question, users will be uploading images through the attachment option, not through the text editor on the message area (as they won't know how to edit the html to scale and size an image and is too complicated for non admin users). By uploading an image through the attachment drag and drop area, its blown up at full size which I don't want (you need to scroll ALOT before reaching the bottom of an image). Is there a way to make this not automatically full scale?

Also using the attachment drag and drop area for video, it displays just a linked text of the name of the video attachment, which users will need to click and it automatically downlaods to your computer. If there is a way to show this embedded in their post without having users to download a video every time someone has attached a video to their posts?

My last question was that once you open a discussion topic, their is no way in returning to the page where all the discussion topics are listed. if there is a way to have some form of button or link on the opened discussion topic?

Many thanks

me
by George Angus - Monday, 5 November 2018, 2:07 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kelvin,

Its not possible to set the dimensions of an image in the Forum drag & drop. You can using the image icon in the text editor toolbar - perhaps some explanatory text would help here in the forum description?

The users can show an embedded video in the drag & drop by selecting the 'Display as file icons' option (the four squares, top right), you might want to watch out for file size maximums here, which can be set in the forum plugin, and in the config file.

Could you use the breadcrumbs trail top left of the page to navigate back to the list of discussion topics?

cheers,

George.