Totara Learn Open Discussions

Number of active users logged into the system?

John Unnever
Number of active users logged into the system?
by John Unnever - Wednesday, 14 November 2018, 10:07 AM
Group Partners

Hello,

Is there a report or a way (possibly a query?) to determine how many users are currently logged into the system with an active session?

David
Re: Number of active users logged into the system?
by David Shaw - Thursday, 15 November 2018, 1:36 AM

Hi John,

Would the standard 'online users' block give you the info you need?

David

John Unnever
by John Unnever - Thursday, 15 November 2018, 5:20 AM
Group Partners

I do not have that listed in the drop down in the Add a Block section?  I see  Logged in User which only gives me information about myself being logged in.  Is there somewhere else to enable this to show up as an option in the list?

David
by David Shaw - Monday, 19 November 2018, 2:08 AM

Hi John,

It should be there, it's a core Moodle plugin and has always been available https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Online_users_block 

Is it turned off under the plugins overview page /admin/plugins.php

David

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 15 November 2018, 2:09 PM
Group Totara

Hi John

The User report does contain the Last login (Relative field) so you could filter for the login time and also use aggregation of count on username to count the number of users for this.

regards

John Unnever
by John Unnever - Friday, 16 November 2018, 6:02 AM
Group Partners

Hi Craig, 

Although this does seem somewhat useful, it won't necessarily answer my question though right?  We are trying to get an accurate count of "Active" users in the system with an ongoing session.  This will just let us know if they have logged in after a certain time?  And perhaps i am missing something but the count on the username appears to only indicate 1 as in that user has only logged in one time in that period, and does not count all unique users.

Would you mind walking me through how you would setup the report exactly? 

Also, if i'm filtering on login time..  so i say, show me all users who have logged in after 8:30am   and let's say it's 8:35 right now.. how will the active users that logged in before 8:30 be included that are still logged in to the system? 

? ?
by ? ? - Friday, 16 November 2018, 7:46 AM

Indeed. Crucially, concurrent users is a measure some partners will mention to pick from various hosting options (with substantial cost differences).

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 18 November 2018, 4:19 PM
Group Totara

Hi John

You are right this doesn't show if the user is currently active - just when the user last logged in. They are similar but this will also include users who have logged off.

To get the number of users aggregated the last login column also needs to be aggregated as below and filter applied for the date.

This shows the number of unique users who have logged in over the filtered date/time so would indicate how many users  in the time block logged in. 

If you are needing finer control of time then the Logged in user block would be better - Site admin > plugins > Blocks > Manage blocks > Logged in user

Regards