Totara Learn Open Discussions

1 user - 2 accounts - way of importing learning history for that user into new account?

Alexander Berg
1 user - 2 accounts - way of importing learning history for that user into new account?
by Alexander Berg - Wednesday, 6 February 2019, 2:54 AM

Hi All,

Is there a way to add completion records for one user to a user's new account?

E. g.: The learner Tom Example exists two times in the system (with two different usernames (IDs)). In his old account he has started 10 courses. In his new account he has started 8 courses. He can't login anymore with his old account. The old learning history is missing in his new account. Is there a way to add the old learning history from his old account to the learning history of his new account without going into each of the 10 courses and edit the completion record for a single course?

The problem is not to add the learning history of 30 people to one specific course but to have one user with two accounts and getting the learning history in his new account up to date.

Many thanks,

Alexander

Craig Eves
Re: 1 user - 2 accounts - way of importing learning history for that user into new account?
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 7 February 2019, 4:24 PM
Group Totara

Hi Alexander

There is an upload course completion feature that can be used for this.

Note the course needs to exist before this will be added to the course completion. If there are lots of courses to added then use the upload multiple course function

regards

Alexander Berg
Re: 1 user - 2 accounts - way of importing learning history for that user into new account?
by Alexander Berg - Thursday, 4 April 2019, 1:16 AM

Hi, Craig.

Thank you for your answer. But this doesn't solve my problem. In my case I have 1 user that exists 2 times in our system. With his old account he finished 100 courses, with his new account he finished 5 (different) courses. He hasn't got access to his old account any more. Following your instructions I would need to have 100 csv-files to upload them into the 100 courses.

But my question is if there is an easier way: Not to upload course completion criteria to a course but to a user.

So I would have ideally 1 file with 1 user (and 100 courses) and not 100 files with 1 course (and 1 user).

Best regards

Alexander

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 4 April 2019, 4:18 PM
Group Totara

Hi Alexander

I think the upload course completions allows the same username to be included in the file so you should be able to upload all the records for the same user at once.

regards

Juan Heredia
by Juan Heredia - Monday, 8 April 2019, 11:26 AM
Group Partners

Hi Alexander, i hope this could be useful,

there are a plugin for moodle called Merger user accounts: https://moodle.org/plugins/tool_mergeusers

I don't know your totara version but you can see if it work.

Regards

Juan

Juan Heredia
by Juan Heredia - Monday, 8 April 2019, 11:33 AM
Group Partners

And please always test before in a safe environment.

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 8 April 2019, 5:22 PM
Group Totara

Hi Juan

It is strongly recommended not to use the merge user plugin see this discussion for the reasons 

Regards

Juan Heredia
by Juan Heredia - Tuesday, 9 April 2019, 6:12 AM
Group Partners

Thanks Craig, i was not aware about this issue in Totara.

Alexander, i guess is not an option.

Regards