Totara Learn Open Discussions

Visibility of categories

Markus Stehle
Visibility of categories
על ידי Markus Stehle בתאריך 28/02/2019, 03:20

Hi,

we are now implementing totara as our new lms. We are now at the stage of setting up our testsystem but I could not wait and set up an own sandbox for playing around. Our lms now is Saba and there it was possible to set up the visibility of categories. For instance I am an employee in austria and I am able looking at categories just interesting for me and can't see categories for croatia or macedonia etc. Is there any possiblity in totara? I just found the "category audience" but obviously it was not the point I am looking for. I was searching in totara learn and come back with more questions: is it really only possbile to set up the visibility for each course/certificate/program? can everybody have a look at the categories but inside the categories the courses are not visible for some audiences? Or do you have another option: I would like to set up the categories in this way:

IT & Software AUSTRIA: just available for austria (just austrian learners can see this category --> they are in the audience austria)

IT & Software Croatia: see above

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance

Br, Markus

Craig Eves
Re: Visibility of categories
על ידי Craig Eves (Totara Support) בתאריך 3/03/2019, 15:26
קבוצה Totara

Hi Markus

There is an Advanced  feature Audience based visibility that when turned on allows courses programs and certifications to only be visible to members of an audience and enrolled users. 

The Audience based visibility isn't able to be applied to a category so would require every course in the category to have the Visibility setting to 'Enrolled users and members of selected Audiences' setting.

When the user who is not a member of the audience goes to the course catalogue they shouldn't be able to see these courses.

It is possible to hide categories and apply roles to categories - but this would be hard to apply to users. Audiences allow users to be allocated by rules so easier to manage. The audience visibility setting overrides the hidden category setting so you can't use both visibility settings together.

regards

Jacque Cardenas
על ידי Jacque Cardenas בתאריך 22/05/2019, 16:49

Hello Craig--

In a similar matter, we have a specific category "A" of courses that are only available to 1000 employees who are grouped by audience.  We can set those courses to audience visibility--no problem.

The problem lies in displaying courses assigned from category A for the user.  These 1000 users are also assigned courses in other categories such as "B" and "C", and we want this category A to be diplayed separately from the other courses in categories B and C for these users.   Is there a block or a dashboard configuration that will allow us to restrict what is diplayed only to category A?

For example I would like to use something like a Course Overview or Current Learning type of block that will only display category A courses for my group of users, even though they are also enrolled in category B and C courses.

OR--if there are other options I am not thinking of to accomplish the same thing, I would love suggestions. 

Thank you!

Craig Eves
על ידי Craig Eves (Totara Support) בתאריך 23/05/2019, 20:59
קבוצה Totara

Hello Jacque

My suggestion is to create a report based on courses source with a saved public filter for the Category.

Then add a report table block to the appropriate dashboard that includes audience access rules.

Regards

Craig

Jacque Cardenas
על ידי Jacque Cardenas בתאריך 29/05/2019, 11:11

Thank you for your reply Craig.  If I understand correctly, I think this block/report will then display ALL courses that are visible in the category. 

We only want the courses that the users are assigned or enrolled in to show up on this block or dashboard that we create for this separate category. 

At the same time, the courses have to be set as visible to all users, because we want learners to be able to search the catalog to find all visible courses in the category.

Craig Eves
על ידי Craig Eves (Totara Support) בתאריך 29/05/2019, 18:12
קבוצה Totara

Hi Jacque

That is correct All courses that are visible will be shown but you are also wanting to show course with audience visibility.

With all courses visible in the course report the user enrolment status for the course is not able to be filtered as user fields are not included in this report source.

The first report could be created with a course completion or Record of Learning report and the second report with the courses report with category filter.

Regards