Totara Learn Open Discussions

This forum discussion has been removed

This forum post has been removed
Tuesday, 26 March 2019, 6:55 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Craig Eves
Re: Multi tenancy
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 26 March 2019, 5:17 PM
Group Totara

Hi Lu

To prevent the course creator in Audience X from seeing the courses in another category Y you can use Audience visibility to make courses visible to enrolled users and selected audiences.

Themes can be applied at a course or category level 

Dashboards with various block content can be assigned to audiences 

You may also get some help from enrolling on the dashboards and theming course in Totara Academy

regards

This forum post has been removed
Wednesday, 27 March 2019, 2:12 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 31 March 2019, 6:45 PM
Group Totara

Hi Lu

Good question - I am not sure what the purpose of a category audience is it is probably to make audiences easier to manage. 

Category audiences do have a few issues - the permissions for category level Audiences don't allow the ability to assign 

• learning, 
  • visible learning,
  • learning plans 

I would try and avoid using  category audiences.

regards

Nicholas Kings
by Nicholas Kings - Friday, 8 November 2019, 7:55 AM

Hi Craig,

I'm just trying to understand the implications of having a multi-tenancy site. From what I have read, so far, the audience is the key. A student is placed in Audience CompanyA and all related courses, programs, etc are placed in that self same Audience.

However, can items be placed in more than one Audience? Could a student belong, in effect, to two different companies?

Thanks

Nick

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 10 November 2019, 1:42 PM
Group Totara

Hi Nick

The multi tenancy feature is still in development so not able to provide much detail.

The plan is to allow people who are not members of the tenant to be added as participant in another tenant.

There will be audiences for tenant context as well as system level audiences.

Regards

Nicholas Kings
by Nicholas Kings - Monday, 11 November 2019, 1:37 AM

Hi Craig

Thanks for your swift reply

Is there a link to documentation or guides show how multi-tenancy is setup, and how then it is presented to students and teachers?

We have an ecommerce product ( https://www.coursemerchant.com/ ) which already enrols a student into Moodle courses and groups, but we have a customer requirement to extend that into multi-tenancy enrolments.

Regards

N

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 11 November 2019, 12:14 PM
Group Totara

Hi Nicholas

I don't know much about course merchant - does this allow cohort enrolments ?

I will get someone from our product team to respond and find out more about your requirements.

Regards

? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 14 November 2019, 3:07 PM

Hi Nicholas,

The multi-tenancy feature is under development and will be part of Totara 13. We'll be publishing documentation closer to the release date.

Would be great to have Course Merchant listed as an official Totara extension by becoming a Totara Partner.

Kind regards,

Andre.

Scott Rogers
by Scott Rogers - Wednesday, 11 March 2020, 8:46 PM

Hi Andre,

Is there any update or potential release date for this multitenancy solution? Also, do you know if users in one tenancy will be able to edit a course without it changing for users in other tenancies?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers Scott

? ?
by ? ? - Wednesday, 8 April 2020, 3:05 AM

Hi Scott,

Answered inline:

Is there any update or potential release date for this multitenancy solution? 

The multitenancy feature will be part of Totara 13 to be released in 2020.

Also, do you know if users in one tenancy will be able to edit a course without it changing for users in other tenancies?

It will depend on how multitenancy is configured. Both scenarios will be possible:

1. You can publish the same course for two different tenants by putting a copy of the course on each tenant category (tenancy exclusive area). In this scenario you have full isolation and editing the content of one of the courses will not affect the other.
  2. You can publish the course on shared space so that both tenants have access to the same course. In this scenario editing the course affects both tenants.

Kind regards,

Andre.

Malinda Brown
by Malinda Brown - Thursday, 14 November 2019, 1:47 PM

Good afternoon Craig, 

Do you happen to know when the multi tenancy feature will be finished? We are needing functionality like that soon and was wondering if we needed to research other options. 

Sincerely, 

Malinda Brown

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 14 November 2019, 2:55 PM
Group Totara

Hi Malinda

I will get someone from the product team to answer - I know is this is actively being worked on but not sure when this is targeted to be ready.

Meredith Henson
by Meredith Henson - Monday, 20 April 2020, 3:19 AM
Group Totara

Hi Malinda,

We'll be releasing Phase 1 of the enhanced multitenancy functionality as part of the upcoming v13 release.  Just like all websites, systems and functionality, it will be an ongoing evolution of features, rather than finished at any given point.

The Academy, Marketing, Product and Documentation team are all working on different pieces for MT at the moment, so they will be plenty of help, guides and information available, leading up and following the release.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.

Be well,

Meredith