Webinars forum

Totara Learn in Retail - Question about multiple languages

Christine Ayers
Totara Learn in Retail - Question about multiple languages
על ידי Christine Ayers בתאריך 2/04/2019, 09:52

I was really hoping to find out more about supporting multiple languages and brands in this webinar.

I am learning about Totara as a possible fit for our new LMS. We already have an LMS and are looking to move. We have a couple of issues that deal with the fact that we are global company.

1. We offer many of our courses/exams in multiple languages. In our current LMS, we have 12 different courses for the same exam, each in a different language. This looks really cluttered and unorganized. Is there a better way to do this in Totara?

2. Likewise, we hold classroom courses around the world in different languages. Again, we have opted to create 12 courses for each classroom course, one for each language and/or location. The only other option we have in our current LMS is to create one course and displays hundreds of unfilterable, unsortable seminars. Is there a better way to do this in Totara?

Thank you,

Christine

Andrew Stotter-Brooks
Re: Totara Learn in Retail - Question about multiple languages
על ידי Andrew Stotter-Brooks בתאריך 3/04/2019, 04:13

Hi Christine

Thanks for your questions.  

1. We host 5 languages in Learning Links, learners can choose the language that they view content in via a simple drop down box.  A major language in MENA is Arabic and Totara LMS can easily and quickly set to read right to left.  We also add Arabic and English to all our course titles, we've found that this really helps our learners understanding and ease of use of Learning Links.

2. We use a 5 tier system to identify learners and the content that is made available to them, 

a. Career Level

b. Designation

c. Location 

d. Brand/Division

e. Market

These tiers allow us to use Totara to direct relevant content to the correct learner which limits excessive data content being displayed to Learners.

Happy to have a more detailed conversation 0096596005576 

Best wishes

Stotts

Christine Ayers
על ידי Christine Ayers בתאריך 3/04/2019, 06:29

Thank you so much Mr. Stotts. I appreciate your response!

Sincerely,

Christine

Ayman Al Kurdi
על ידי Ayman Al Kurdi בתאריך 3/04/2019, 04:32
קבוצה Partners

To add to what Andrew mentioned in the first point, the "Restrict Access by language" is also used on the topic and/or content level; so if I changed the language to Arabic, I will only see the Arabic content.

There was no need to setup different courses. It is one course only. 

Language is only one of the restrictions, as Andrew said other restrictions (forming a restricting set) are added based on user profile information (Career, Market, etc).

You need to make sure course completion is setup correctly, so that should the learner complete any of the activities (regardless of the language), the course will complete.

Ayman Al Kurdi
על ידי Ayman Al Kurdi בתאריך 3/04/2019, 04:52
קבוצה Partners

You may also want to click the eye icon as per the attached so the content in the other languages do not appear at all (not greyed out)

This ensures the course doesn't look cluttered and the content is relevant to the learner language.

Christine Ayers
על ידי Christine Ayers בתאריך 3/04/2019, 06:32

Thank you Mr. Ayman. I have not come across this feature yet. This looks like an excellent way to restrict courses. I will definitely do more research on this. 

Thank you,

Christine

Its me Rahul
על ידי Rahul Kumar בתאריך 3/06/2019, 01:54

Hi all, 

I would like to know that is it possible somehow we can make restricted access by language on a course level despite of putting restricted on each activity on course level.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Rahul