Totara Learn Open Discussions

Changing certification dates for live programs or certifications

Kevin Avis
Changing certification dates for live programs or certifications
by Kevin Avis - Thursday, 2 May 2019, 7:40 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to work out something to do with certifications and change the date, without loosing any data or creating loads of chaos.

The context:

We have a certification that is currently 1 year,  was change to to every 3, and recently reverted back to 1. The content of the course hasn't changed. 

Currently 50% of our users have certification that was changed by a script written by our Totara Partners. The result of this means, they on their learning they have to do it shows ASAP, but still states it is valid until 3 years from when they last completed it. This is obviously creating a bit of confusion.

My question is, could we have done that any better? Was/is there a way we can amend the certification dates without loosing the data of users.  My thinking is we should have set up a new program/certification - but I would appreciate some guidance on this.

Kevin

Photos attached

1. What a user will see (highlighted with original three year date)

2. What the certificate is set to

Wesley Holden
Re: Changing certification dates for live programs or certifications
by Wesley Holden - Saturday, 11 May 2019, 9:56 AM

HI Kevin,

I agree with the thought of setting up a new Certification. If I'm understanding the workflow right, what you could do is create the new certification, with the appropriate completion criteria and then import the completion data from the old certification. That way you get the new completion requirements, with the last completion dates. (Though if the courses were through Totara, it would automatically look at the completion dates of those courses and apply them to the new certification.)  With the custom script in there though, you'll want to go back to your Totara Partner to talk through it, just in case there's some piece I'm missing.

Thanks!

Wes